Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening class for degree

Options
  • 17-05-2013 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Has anybody here got their honours degree by attending an evening course whilst working? Id be very interested to see how they got on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 razor2013

Didn't do an "attending" course so to speak, but studied with the O.U. There's good support from tutors/tutorials and lots of extra material. It's a bit expensive now, but you can choose the courses you want to study....take breaks from the degree if your life needs it. What you planning on studying? Computer Science?

In terms of workload, the deadlines are well spaced, because they know a lot of people are juggling work/ families etc. I worked full time and studying in the evenings was a major pain, but I enjoyed the subject and it was well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Did you study programming razor? Did you get a job after completing the course?

I've just finished year 2 of an evening degree course. Was a tough year with work, kids and college.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 razor2013

Synode wrote: »
    Did you study programming razor? Did you get a job after completing the course?

I've just finished year 2 of an evening degree course. Was a tough year with work, kids and college.

No, I studied science with the OU. Are you looking for work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Going into year 3 of a 4 year BSc in Information Systems in TCD. Tough going but manageable. In terms of application of course material to working environment, not much (I do pure development, this is an information systems degree), but great prospects if and when I do get it.

Any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

razor2013 wrote: »
    No, I studied science with the OU. Are you looking for work?

No I was just wondering what the prospects are for people studying computers at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I've just finished a degree in GCD. While it wasn't an evening course (although there were classes in the evening in the last semester), and I cut down my work to 3 days a week, the work load was immense, trying to juggle just the 3 days, classes, assignments and projects was very tough. I don't believe GCD offer the night option anymore, and I know a few people who did it in the past but honestly don't know how they managed.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Synode wrote: »
    No I was just wondering what the prospects are for people studying computers at night.

I could be wrong but I don't think studying at night instead of full time is a disadvantage. For example, I know that the night course computer science degree in the National College of Ireland mirrors the material covered in the full time course. Obviously, you'll need to spend more of your personal time doing study, projects, independent learning etc, but the material you cover is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The evening course may try to cover the full time course in a much shorter space of time though. Which is hard in itself, but then add the fact you are working as well.

Part-time learning is a nightmare when you have a full time job. Consumes your whole life. Hopefully it will be worth it in the end though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Doing an hons at the moment. People talk about having a life but I don't know what they mean:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 johndots

I could be wrong but I don't think studying at night instead of full time is a disadvantage. For example, I know that the night course computer science degree in the National College of Ireland mirrors the material covered in the full time course. Obviously, you'll need to spend more of your personal time doing study, projects, independent learning etc, but the material you cover is the same.

If you look at the results of the students who do part time v full time in computing in NCI, overall the part timers results are higer(by a big amount).

Were do you see the results.

I would have thought there would be more drop outs from evening courses.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

BostonB wrote: »
    I would have thought there would be more drop outs from evening courses.

I would have thought the opposite, most people taking the evening option are either funding the course themselves or an employer is paying for them.

Indeed but you do the same workload in a much shorter time while working as well. On one course I was on the dropout was over 50% which the college suggested wasn't unusual for a part time course. I would have thought a daytime course it would be more like 10 to 20%.

I'm just guessing. where are there stats?

Dropouts on the part time class have been huge. Down to about 30-40% of the original class (beginning of 1st year) at the end of second year.

Advertisement