Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency J1 Visa Meeting

Options
  • 17-05-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have my embassy meeting on the 4th of June(Tues) at 8am .. and am flying out to the USA on the 7th(Friday)

What are the chances of my visa being processed in that amount of time?
    They know I am flying out on the Friday so would they have given it if they couldn't process in that time.

What can I do?
    They are so hard to contact .

HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

They wouldn't deny a visa based on your flights. They're your flights, you're responsible for them. You are cutting it quite tight, they will probably process it and pop it in the mail by Wednesday (if they are not busy) which then means you'll get it Thursday or Friday, depending on the post office.

I would look into changing my flights, if I were you, for the comfort of knowing you will definitely have your passport!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I agree with Lisa... they will have booked your appointment based on when they have time, not based on your needs. When you go in, plead your case and they MAY let you pick it up at the embassy a day ro two after the appointment. They don't normally do this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ashlion

Ok thanks. It's just that it is an emergency appointment in the first place. I had to email them my flight dates and starting work dates. So they knew I was leaving the 7th ..
    Its just frustrating because you can't really get through to talk to someone about it

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

When I was in the waiting room they made an announcement asking did anyone need their passport back sooner than the usual one week, so I guess you're safe enough.

Who's your travel agent? They should have the answer. I'm with Usit and they straight up ignored an email from me asking an out of the ordinary question about the visa/embassy. I was pretty annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Last year the day before I was due to fly to Ireland I injured my back. Not bad enough for doctors and hospital but agony all the same. I knew I wasnt getting out of bed for a week AND i had non-refundable tickets.

I called the airline thinking I was just sh!t out of luck and they told me it only costs $50 to change "non-refundable" tickets! Huh???

So I would give it a try. Better than fretting over the postman with only 2 days to spare. I wouldnt trust that at all.

• Advertisement

Ashlion wrote: »
    Ok thanks. It's just that it is an emergency appointment in the first place.

If it was really an "emergency appointment" would they have you wait three weeks and then see you 2 days before you leave?

Are you sure you didn't tell them it was an emergency and then some bureaucrat gave you the next available normal appointment anyway without paying atttention?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ashlion

Yea, cause I was meant to get the 10th , so I applied for an emergency one and they gave me the 4th.
    I think I will just plead my case when I go up there, tell them I'll come and get it or tell them I really need it.. bla bla.. and HOPEFULLY

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Contact your travel agent. They have direct ties to the embassy and can get things done. The embassy really and truly don't care. Your one in a thousand. I certainly would not wait until the day of the appointment to try make your case.

Ashlion wrote: »
    I think I will just plead my case when I go up there, tell them I'll come and get it or tell them I really need it.. bla bla.. and HOPEFULLY

No. The days when that kind of thing worked ended when you graduated, you need to make adult decisions now.

At least pick up the phone to the airline/travel agent that sold you your ticket, and see what the airline policy is if you have to cancel your outgoing flight.

I assume you've got a return ticket? so you'd only lose half of it (assuming there's no refund which I doubt). SO you'd only have to buy another single ticket right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I assume you've got a return ticket? so you'd only lose half of it (assuming there's no refund which I doubt). SO you'd only have to buy another single ticket right?

Not necessarily, some airlines consider the flight cancelled if you don't take the first leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Not necessarily, some airlines consider the flight cancelled if you don't take the first leg.

But they may not refund you in that instance and you could cancel your return leg i.e. The entire ticket. Its always better to be upfront and honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

I done my embassy interview way back in February, but it still took over a week for the passport to be sent back out to me; you are right in the middle of peek times with the embassy, your going to be applying for your VISA along with thousands of other J-1'ers so it could take even longer, i know a mate of mine, it took his nearly 2 weeks to get back out to him.

Depending on what airline your going with, they will have different policies.. i am a frequent flyer with British Airways, and i know if you don't take the first leg of the journey, the entire trip becomes void, at least on an economy fair anyway.

+1 to what others have said, 2 days really is not enough time to leave for a passport to be posted back out, unless the embassy specifically mentioned it to you.. they'd nearly have to give it back to you on the day, or the next day at the latest.. you can't be rushing around at the last minute looking for your passport, it will put an enormous amount of stress on yourself, which is best avoided right before long-haul flights :D

For piece of mind, i'd change the flights.. i know USIT are charging 150e to change the flight dates.. which is a rip-off, it would be cheaper changing with the airline, but, what can you do..

Best of luck!

Advertisement