Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young players to look out for in Championship 2013

Options
  • 17-05-2013 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

What young players will announce themsleves on the scene and shine in this years championship? Some players have already caught the eye in the National League, how many of them will continue their impressive performances and will there be any new stars that are not household names yet? Here`s a few I think will show their talent...

Jack Mc Caffery (Dublin): Had a fantastic league campaign and I expect him to push on in the championship. Incredible pace and energy and well able to take a score too.

Ryan Mc Hugh (Donegal): Comes from good stock and is the type of player that suits Donegal style in that like his brother, he can run for miles.

Paul Mannion (Dublin): Dont need to say too much here as people are probably very aware of his impressive performances but will he sustain them in the summer. Will teams focus on stopping that left foot and force him onto his weaker foot?

Cormac Costello (Dublin): Difficult to know whether he can break into an impressive forward line but this boy is a serious talent. Might be a year too early for him.

Mickey Newman (Meath): This guy has bags of ability. He is big, strong and mobile and very consistant from frees. Had a good national league campaign.

Ciaran Byrne (Louth): Has been sought after by AFL teams for a few years now and may still make the move in the near future. Seen this guy in action on numerous occasions and he is very impressive. He is quick, slippery and great off both feet.

Niall Morgan (Tyrone): Don`t conceed free kicks against Tyrone from anywhere in your half. Stephen Cluxton the 2nd. I am not sure how good he is between the sticks however.

Shane Walsh (Galway): Haven`t seen too much of this guy but from what I saw he looks a natural talent. Will be interesting to see how he (and his U-21 teamates) makes the step up to senior level

Sean Hurley (Kildare): Big strong powerful mid-fielder from Kildare. Looked impressive in their U-21 campaign.

Niall Kelly (Kildare): As above, looked impressive in the U-21 campaign. Great passer of a ball and looks to be a natural playmaker. His small frame may hinder him in the heat of battle of championship football.

Jack Brady (Cavan): Heard his name mentioned a bit but don`t know too much about him. Will be interesting to see him in action.

Tipperary underage players: Will any of the Tipperary youngsters from the recent successful underage teams make a name for themselves on the big stage and help push Tipperary forward?

Ciaron O`Hanlon (Armagh): Again, don`t know too much about him but any 18 year old getting handed a debut in an opening round championship game must be handy enough.

Any others: I`m sure there are a few young guns I have left out, I`d be interested to hear about them. Its always refreshing seeing new players breaking through.

Hurling: I am not totally up to speed on young hurlers who may be making breakthroughs but hurling folk, please enlighten us!! One of whom I have seen is Lester Ryan from Kilkenny and despite playing in a team of some men who are semi-gods of hurling, he has not looked out of place at all- far from it!

I`m living abroad and feeling slightly homesick now that championship time is beginning. Don`t have the smell of fresh grass cut and sounds from club and county grounds, I miss them. Also miss the chats and conversations about the championship, hence I started this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Way too early for Costello, I think. Dublin's dead on arrival U21 campaign meant he got almost no U21 experience this year to boot so he's not even going to see the field for the seniors until next year at the very earliest.

Paul Cribbin looks the part at HB for Kildare while John Heslin has been doing some awesome things for Westmeath. For us Donie Smith is the fella to watch out for, excellent corner-forward prospect and every bit as good as Walsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Jamie Barron for Waterford hurlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Donie Smith (Roscommon)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Jamie Barron for Waterford hurlers.

I would say he's an excellent prospect, but expect to see more from Jake Dillon and Brian O'Halloran this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Tipperary underage players: Will any of the Tipperary youngsters from the recent successful underage teams make a name for themselves on the big stage and help push Tipperary forward?

Hurling: I am not totally up to speed on young hurlers who may be making breakthroughs but hurling folk, please enlighten us!! One of whom I have seen is Lester Ryan from Kilkenny and despite playing in a team of some men who are semi-gods of hurling, he has not looked out of place at all- far from it!

Michael Quinlivan would seem to be the new hope for Tipp footballers, only 19 and will be playing somewhere in the full foward line, if he and Barry Grogan comliment each other they will be a handfull for anyone.

Regards to Hurling, Lester Ryan has been magnificent and was the star of the league but at 25 he's not really a young player as such.

From a Tipp perspective I guess Jason Forde is the one most Tipp fans will look to, personally not fully convinced and think he will need another year or two to make the step up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

hardybuck wrote: »
    I would say he's an excellent prospect, but expect to see more from Jake Dillon and Brian O'Halloran this year.

Yeah I only picked Jamie out as its his first real season playing senior whereas Brian has been around a few years and Jake has been on the panel a while longer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Yeah I only picked Jamie out as its his first real season playing senior whereas Brian has been around a few years and Jake has been on the panel a while longer too.

As far as I'm aware, this is Dillon's first year. While everyone knew about him, I don't think he made the seniors last year. While O'Halloran was in the extended squad, he will be making his championship debut at some stage this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, this is Dillon's first year. While everyone knew about him, I don't think he made the seniors last year. While O'Halloran was in the extended squad, he will be making his championship debut at some stage this year.

Dillon played a league game last year against Tipp but this will be his championship debut. O'Halloran has already scored a point in a Munster Final and started against Tipp in the All Ireland semi in 2010.

From a Tipp football perspective, Quinlivan probably has the most experience of that minor team at Senior level. Philip Quirke is the big of the bunch to me though from the Tipp minor teams of the last few years, be interesting to see what part he plays for Tipp this year.

I know he's around a couple of years, but Darach Honan seems to be coming into fitness at exactly the right time this year. Clare need him to deliver on his potential to have the season many expect them to have.

And from a Waterford perspective, if we are in the championship come quarter final or maybe semi final time, I reckon Darragh Fives will be in contention for young hurler of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Mayo - Evan Regan,Conor O'Shea. Galway - Shane Walsh,Fiontan O Curraoin. Roscommon - Donal Smith, Conor Daly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Kinder Bueno

Daniel Flynn-Kildare. Powerful runner who can play in midfield or wing forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Daniel Flynn-Kildare. Powerful runner who can play in midfield or wing forward.

He's signing for an Aussie Rules club after the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Sean Quigley (Fermanagh) the younger off the 3 brothers

Both footed,
    Excellent free taker,
    Big and powerful,
    Had a good league campaign

He did get injured but hoping he is back for the championship

He's signing for an Aussie Rules club after the championship.
    Pure speculation at this stage.

Pure speculation at this stage.

I've heard it's a done deal and he'll sign officially in the autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

That costello fella playing with the Dub hurlers as well?
    Also keep an eye out for Brian Hurley to fill the gap left by Colm O'Neill.

I've heard it's a done deal and he'll sign officially in the autumn
    Surely he'll still take part in this years championship though? If what you're saying is true, he will be huge loss, very promising footballer and lets remember he is only 19.

Surely he'll still take part in this years championship though? If what you're saying is true, he will be huge loss, very promising footballer and lets remember he is only 19.

He has a big role to play for Kildare in this year's championship I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Jack Brady (Cavan): Heard his name mentioned a bit but don`t know too much about him. Will be interesting to see him in action.

Brady, along with Fergal Flanagan, has played in all nine Ulster U21 games for Cavan for the last 3 years and has never finished on a losing side.

He's a quality player but has been playing with a foot injury, allegedly a possible broken bone, and is currently meant to be on pain killing injections to play. I fear that, like the All Ireland semi against Cork a few weeks back, we may not see the best of him tomorrow when he starts against Armagh.

He also won a Sigerson with DCU last year and was highly spoken of by Michael Murphy. Strangely, DCU were playing him as a half back this year when he has always played as a forward.

Was one of six nominees for the Cadbury Heroes of the Future from the U21 championship this week.

Advertisement