Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long out of the country before

Options
  • 16-05-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Ive been told that if your out of the country more than 2 years then you wont be entitled to any state benefits, is this true.

I have been on job seekers allowance for over a year now but was on job seeking benefit for 2 years previous. I worked as a block layer on sites for years but as you all well know, my line of work is on its arse and wont be returning anytime soon.

My girlfriend of 3 kids is on state benefits also after losing her job at the start of the year and we are both thinking moving up to omagh where we have family ties. we've looked into claiming up there and we are entitled to benefits so were thinking of moving up to try and get some sort of work but if it all doesnt work out, we still want to return to where we live now because we have roots here as weve lived here for 25 years.

Would like to know where we stand with claiming if we return back if everything goes pear shaped on us up there.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

tootsy70 wrote: »
    Ive been told that if your out of the country more than 2 years then you wont be entitled to any state benefits, is this true.

I have been on job seekers allowance for over a year now but was on job seeking benefit for 2 years previous. I worked as a block layer on sites for years but as you all well know, my line of work is on its arse and wont be returning anytime soon.

My girlfriend of 3 kids is on state benefits also after losing her job at the start of the year and we are both thinking moving up to omagh where we have family ties. we've looked into claiming up there and we are entitled to benefits so were thinking of moving up to try and get some sort of work but if it all doesnt work out, we still want to return to where we live now because we have roots here as weve lived here for 25 years.

Would like to know where we stand with claiming if we return back if everything goes pear shaped on us up there.

If you girlfriend is on jobseekers benefit she can transfer her claim to another eu country for up to 78 days if she is looking for work.

Advertisement