Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Biro.

Options
  • 16-05-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm used to using the green biro when doing headings/evaluations in business, geography and quotes in english.
    I remember for Junior cert we weren't allowed use red or green biro on our exam booklets.

Does this still apply for the leaving cert?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm not certain on the regulations.

Whatever about the first two you mentioned, I'd strongly recommend that you don't write or highlight your English quotes with anything other than quotation marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

My English teacher has always told us to put quotations and titles of books/poems in a different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I think small bits or red (headings etc) are fine. I think you shouldn't use green though but I could be wrong on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Red and green are used by the examiners.
    I seem to recall being told red was used by your first examinar and then their supervisor used green.
    Not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nadia88

How hard is it to use just one colour pen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

nadia88 wrote: »
    How hard is it to use just one colour pen?

Just want the main points to stand out to examiners make it easy for them without them going to lengths to search for them within the void that is the black biro and using blue biro dosent really go well with black, but if it comes down to it t'will have to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Just write in black/blue.

All that time wasted swapping pens...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Blue for the main writing, black for headings, question labels, etc. Purple, pink, light blue or orange on standby if necessary, ut I don't know if we're allowed those. I hope we are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hitchcock

Yes, the examiners use red and the supervising/head examiner uses green. Just mix between black and blue for your headings. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Green biro is so annoying !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

I think they just put that in the rules to stop students writing blocks of text in red or green.

When I did my exams, I used red for all quotations and I used a fair bit of green too (in Economics diagrams for example to help distinguish between different curves) and it was never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

From an examiner's point of view I'd recommend stay away from red. The examiner has to mark and remark (and possibly remark again) each paper. It is the most awful of jobs and any little thing can make the experience worse. Having to search through the students red marks for my own red marks from my first time around doesn't help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The supervising examiner then uses green if the paper is being looked at again, or if changes occur within the marking scheme.

Stick to blue or black for the exam.

Under no circumstances write numbers anywhere near the right hand margin in green or red.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

teach88 wrote: »
    I think they just put that in the rules to stop students writing blocks of text in red or green.

When I did my exams, I used red for all quotations and I used a fair bit of green too (in Economics diagrams for example to help distinguish between different curves) and it was never an issue.

They can't stop you using red or green, but examiners correct in red and green so if you have written your answers in red, not only is incredibly annoying to correct because it's harder to read than blue or black but it's harder to tot up marks at the end if the red marks the examiner has awarded don't stand out as well against the sea of red the student has written. Same goes for green.

Seriously, examiners are not stupid people, they are all qualified teachers and are well capable of recognising a quote in an answer even if it is the same colour as the rest of the answer.

Actually on top of avoiding red and green please do your examiners a favour and avoid these bad boys too:

S34-7106P01WL.jpg

Reading answers in luminous pink, blue, purple is a pain in the arse and the words start to jump around the page after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

All my teacher hate green pen , you'd probably pee of the examiner . Red is fine for headings but an eyesore anywhere else IMO . Just write in black ?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Once you are writing in solid black or blue i don't see the problem with a bit of green/pink/other colour highlighting/quoting here and there, personally i always think of red as corrections so i would just not use red. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    Stick to blue or black for the exam.

Under no circumstances write numbers anywhere near the right hand margin in green or red.
    They can't stop you using red or green, but examiners correct in red and green so if you have written your answers in red, not only is incredibly annoying to correct because it's harder to read than blue or black but it's harder to tot up marks at the end if the red marks the examiner has awarded don't stand out as well against the sea of red the student has written. Same goes for green.

Seriously, examiners are not stupid people, they are all qualified teachers and are well capable of recognising a quote in an answer even if it is the same colour as the rest of the answer.

Actually on top of avoiding red and green please do your examiners a favour and avoid these bad boys too:

<Bic "fashion colour" pens>

Reading answers in luminous pink, blue, purple is a pain in the arse and the words start to jump around the page after a while.

Agreed.

That's 3 current or former examiners giving you the same advice.

The wise student might take a hint! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

Write in rainbow ink, or, if unavailable, use a different colour biro for each individual letter. You'll get extra marks.

I've always considered pre-marking your paper in the exam and having the examiner just be like 'oh must have forgotten to stamp this one'. Solid A1 material.

True, we certainly are not stupid but I still think it helps when there are several hundred papers to mark if a student uses a different colour to identify different points (in a subject such as Business or Economics for example).

Nothing worse when I'm trying to find "4 points at 5 marks each" than to come across a block of indiscriminate blue that goes on for 2 pages!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

teach88 wrote: »
    True, we certainly are not stupid but I still think it helps when there are several hundred papers to mark if a student uses a different colour to identify different points (in a subject such as Business or Economics for example).

Nothing worse when I'm trying to find "4 points at 5 marks each" than to come across a block of indiscriminate blue that goes on for 2 pages!!

Examiners are only marking one paper at a time and are well capable of reading.

• Advertisement

Examiners are only marking one paper at a time and are well capable of reading.

Again, very true but every little helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Black writing in essays shows more authority in your writing than blue. Whatever that means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

Write it in your blood. That shows dedication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The chances of getting a chief examiner are pretty slim in most subjects so imagine you can use green. But why spends mins switching biros when in exams like business and english you avoid going to the toilet because you will lose 3 mins of writing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

hfallada wrote: »
    The chances of getting a chief examiner are pretty slim in most subjects so imagine you can use green. But why spends mins switching biros when in exams like business and english you avoid going to the toilet because you will lose 3 mins of writing.

Depends what you call slim chances. Don't use green. Use blue or black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

hfallada wrote: »

Nobody said that green was for the Chief Examiner. It's for Advising Examiners. In most subjects, your chances of getting one of those is about 1 in 20. Furthermore, if you decide to appeal, the appeal examiner will probably use green (unless your script was previously marked by an Advising Examiner in green).

Let me add my voice to that of the other current or former examiners saying more or less the same thing: if you would like to irritate the person marking your script, go ahead and scatter a bit of red and/or green on in there. If you'd prefer not to irritate them, stick to blue or black.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

What's the consensus in Accounting when quite a lot of ruling out/headings have to be done? I've always used red for headings/rulings with a blue or black pen and it'd feel a bit weird to use blue and black tbh, I'd probably get over it if I felt it was necessary though. :P

Advertisement