Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about how a runner is out

Options
  • 16-05-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

I'll try to keep this simple so I don't confuse myself or anyone else.

When a runner is advancing to the next base, lets say from 2nd to 3rd, If the catcher at 3rd catches the ball while touching the base is that enough for the runner to be out or must he tag the runner? Or must he only tag the runner if he's not in contact with the base?

Hope it makes sense, I only watch a bit of baseball and saw something today that made me wonder.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

It's been a long time since I played baseball and took my referee exams but if I remember correctly the runner needs to be tagged unless the ball is just caught straight away (without having hit the ground).

I've seen (and made) some quite spectacular slides to avoid being tagged and sometimes they worked.

Maybe someone with somewhat more recent experience can confirm or set me straight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Cheers.

I'll post up exactly what it was that got me curious

Runner from 1st to 2nd is out without being tagged.

Ruuner from 2nd to 3rd is tagged out even though the catcher at 3rd is in contact with the base, so I was assuming that the runner could retreat back to 2nd and be either tagged out or have the ball caught at 2nd in contact with the base and they just decided to tag him.

And finally it looks to be that the batter is both tagged and the catchers foot was on the base.

Sorry if I sound dumb, I do really like the sport and want to know as much as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

From what I can tell there the batter was out as the ball either was caught straight from the air or the ball made it to first before he did. (cant quite tell if the ball bounced, looks like it did.)

The other 2 guys were just tagged .

If I remember correctly if you're running between bases it doesn't matter whether or not someone touches base holding the ball, you need to be tagged. The exception to this is running to first, if the ball makes it before you do you're out.

Also if a ball is caught straight from the air the runners need to return to the base they set off from originally.

Hope this helps explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

When the ball is put in play by the batter, he's forced to run to 1st base, and because of that all the defense needs to do is step on the base with ball in glove.
    A runner who is already at 1st is forced to move up a base because the batter is coming to 1st.
    Likewise for a player at any other base when all the bases behind him are occupied.

So in the video posted the batter hits a ground ball to Cano, he flips to 2nd for the force-out on the man going to that base, now because of that out 2nd base is no longer occupied so the runner going to 3rd is no longer 'forced' to go to 3rd, he can also return to 2nd if he can avoid being tagged out. After they tag him out, the defense catches the batter in the middle of trying to go from 1st to 2nd and tags him out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Thanks for the info lads, make more sense now :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement