Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't multi-tracks published?

Options
  • 16-05-2013 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I was chatting to somebody today about copyright issues in regard to guitar tab sites; the attempts by publishers to clamp down on free tab sites and how officially tabbed sheet music is a revenue stream that hasn't really been fully exploited by publishers yet.

Made me wonder...why aren't multi-tracks published in the same way?

At a time when publishers are clawing for any additional income, why not also make official multi-tracks or even stems available?

I realise there isn't exactly a huge market for it...but it's certainly a growing market, with the popularity of home recording ever increasing. And I'm sure there's enough curious music fans who would buy them...the same people willing to pay extra for "limited edition" albums and bootleg collections. Music teachers who can learn and teach a part in isolation. Internet speeds have been fast enough to transfer big sessions for a long time now, so that isn't really a problem any more either.

Would you pay for multi-tracks? I've paid for sheet music many times in the past, I'd certainly pay for multi-tracks. Is there an obvious reason I'm missing as to why they aren't made available?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

i would suggest its because bands dont want people f**king with their vision... or what they think is their vision after we mix it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Sure, I get that, but stems would lessen that effect...and I'm pretty sure if they were getting a percentage of sales they might change their tune (wayyy!).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

there are some out there available. I would pay for them, probably not too much though. I wouldn't pay for stems though, only multitracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

its bloody handy if you want to learn instrument parts and studio effect techniques

i learned loads from the stems out on the web .

if i was a name , id do it .

also would like to see 24 bit 96 k audio mixes released .

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

The majority of bands care about the finished whole, not the individual parts. I can think of very few clients who I've recorded in the past being okay with people being able to hear their entire performance solo'd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

my son has been doing remixes for a few people (The Mars Volta's engineer and Bearcubbin, the band that the smashing pumpkins new drummer is in) and the way he got the multitracks was by emailing, expressing an interest and asking if he could get them. Probably the handiest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I'd guess the main reason , apart from the mentioned, is that not many people would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭music producer

I play studio sessions; a guitarist friend has been bringing in multi-tracks of very well know bands over the last couple years, with various parts isolated - including some Beatles tunes. I don't know where he's getting his hands on this stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

A lot of guys seem to get parts from www.indabamusic.com - Lots of remix competitions with various stems given out.

I'd found some original Queen parts on their once for mixdown practice/experiments. Some groups give out very poor stems... others crazy amounts (A friend is doing a Nine Inch Nails remix and they have supplied original parts and out-takes)

Hope that helps!

Advertisement