Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Gaming PC Died, it's about time for a new build.

Options
  • 16-05-2013 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey guys, so, my gaming PC, an iPower from Packard Bell which served me well for nearly 6 years died last night, the motherboard seems to have some unidentifiable issue.

Since it's so old, and I was planning on getting a new machine next year anyway, I've decided to get a new build now instead of trying to repair an nearly antique mobo.

I've done the painful job of preparing a new PC build while mourning my dearly departed PC through tear filled eyes and I'd like a few comments just to make sure I'm getting some decent stuff at reasonable prices.

Intel Core i5-3570K

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 (With the intention of using EVGA's StepUp to get a GTX780)

ASRock Z77 Pro3

4GB Corsair Vengeance (Two of these)

Noctua NH-U12P SE2

be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 580W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The cpu cooler is probably overkill for that chip. You might run into ram clearance issues with it as well, low profile ram would be the way to go.

Psu is probably overkill as well. Too much for a single gpu rig and not enough for dual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yeah, sorry Marcus, should have checked power consumption figures. You'll actually be perfectly fine with the 480W, it's not nearly as close as I was thinking.

Cooler will be quieter than the Evo, which is mainly what he was concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Laughing Marcus

Thanks guys. I knew the 580W might be a bit overkill, but there was a special on so I got 580W for 7c more than the 480W.

I ordered it all last night so hopefully everything will flow just fine.

What do you mean by clearance issues by the way? Does clearance hold a more technical meaning than I know of? Or does it just mean that it may take up more space in the case than you'd like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Thanks guys. I knew the 580W might be a bit overkill, but there was a special on so I got 580W for 7c more than the 480W.

I ordered it all last night so hopefully everything will flow just fine.

What do you mean by clearance issues by the way? Does clearance hold a more technical meaning than I know of? Or does it just mean that it may take up more space in the case than you'd like?

The heat spreader on top of the RAM is likely to prevent you from properly placing the CPU cooler, which is why low profile RAM (heatspreader-less) would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Laughing Marcus

Ahh, yeah, that's what I thought it meant. It's cool, I checked it out before I bought the one with heat spreaders, I'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Ahh, yeah, that's what I thought it meant. It's cool, I checked it out before I bought the one with heat spreaders, I'll be fine.

Err, the ones with the heatspreaders are the ones likely to cause problems :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Where did you check?
    My Noctua NH-U12P SE2 covers one of my memory slots. Corsair Vengence is too big to fit under my cooler.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2136010

Ram heat spreaders are pointless, ones with large fins in more so. They are just available because some people like the way they look

This is what you need for large heatsinks
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/1600+Low+Voltage/48849/4GB-Kit+Corsair+Vengeance+Low+Profile+blau+PC3-12800U+CL9.article

Advertisement