Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become a counsellor?

Options
  • 16-05-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Does anybody know how to actually become a counsellor. It is all I want to do, I have volunteered with various charities helping people with addictions, homelessness and probation. I have just finished a FETAC Level 5 in Social Studies and I don't have a leaving cert. I have applied for courses such as Social Science, Social Care, Community Development etc on the CAO. But really, all I want to do is to work in Mental Health/Counselling area. I have looked at other private colleges where you can study Counselling, and other related courses, but the fees are way to high for me to afford.
    Please note that I can't gain entry into any psychology courses. SO that route is really a no go until I am 23. I am 21 now.
    Any help would be appreciated so I can get the CAO right with what I want to achieve from a degree :)

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Hi there

I am doing a part-time Counselling & Psychotherapy degree through a private college. Yes, it is expensive, (4.5k per year) but if you manage to get a job, you can do it as it is only part-time.

If counselling is your calling, don't let the cost put you off. I struggle, but I don't mind as I know this is what I want to do. I am 40 now and it was a case of do it now, or never. At 23, you are old enough to apply for courses. I think 23 is the youngest you can be to apply to private colleges.

PM me if you want any further information. Follow your dream, if you want this, believe me, there is a way!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 zoeenya

Hey, I have been talking to a friend of mine who is currently doing Social Care in the college I hope to go. She has said that through her course you are legible to go on to do a post grad in Psychology anywhere in the country. So I'm thinking that this may be the easiest option right now, I will be 28 by the time I do all of that, so if I still need to do a private course like yourself well then hopefully I can have a job on the side and be working to pay for it. Yes I will definately not let this dream go!! There are lots of volunteer counselling opportunities in my area also so I could take up these when I feel I have some education behind me to get a feel for it.
    Thank you for your help, and good luck with your amazing journey!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cathickey

Hi there I was just wondering were are you doing ur studies. I am looking into doing a course and would like some recommendations
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

zoeenya wrote: »
    Does anybody know how to actually become a counsellor. ...

There are no legal minimum qualifications needed to become a counsellor.

( http://www.careerdirections.ie/ShowJobFull.aspx?job_id=718 )

Advertisement