Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprenticeships - HELP

Options
  • 16-05-2013 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have wanted to become a tattoo artist for near 7 years now, but didn't actively pursue it because I thought I wasn't good enough.

However, now I'm becoming impatient.

Any shop I visit or contact has no room for another apprentice, isn't taking any at the moment, or flat out says no.

The one offer I did get of an apprenticeship was going to be charged at 6000 for six months. Needless to say, I could hardly afford it.

This is the one thing I want to do in life. I don't want to be a starving artist, I want to put my skills to practical use. It's extremely disheartening and there's no way I'd ever attempt to teach myself for fear of seriously hurting someone.

Does anyone have any advise on where to go from here? This is really depressing me and I feel like giving up altogether.

I'm linking a web page that has some of my work up, to give you guys an example of my skill level.

http://lemons-and-peach.tumblr.com/tagged/Illustration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

I'm not overly familiar with tattoo apprenticeships, but I imagine they can't be terribly different from piercing apprenticeships.

If you pay, you are not going to get the same kind of teaching as if you are offered an apprenticeship, especially if it's only 6 months. Hang around the shop, get tattoos, bring your friends to get tattooed, practise drawing whatever you can, and ask intelligent questions.

Most of all, remember that there's a lot more than meets the eye when it comes to these things. You'll want first-aid, blood-borne pathogens and cross-contamination training.

It's worse than to be trained by someone who is bad at what they do than to not be trained at all. Patience, patience and patience, the three Ps that are gonna get you where you want to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

Really like that drawing of the girl with the flowers over her eyes and mouth

If your prepared to travel try trinity tattoo in naas. I know he has no app. atm but he did also say he didnt want another one after a bad exp but if you dont ask you wont know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

KikiSee wrote: »
    The one offer I did get of an apprenticeship was going to be charged at 6000 for six months. Needless to say, I could hardly afford it.

A friend of mine took up a similar offer in a different field and negotiated weekly payments, earning alongside their apprenticeship, it's a lot of work but if you want something... They also considered getting someone to go guarantor on a loan. However I don't know how the above practice fits in to that particular industry.

I don't know about the tattoo industry but everywhere else apprenticeships are very thin on the ground, it takes money, time, and energy to train someone and businesses just don't have that at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

KikiSee wrote: »

Whoever said that was either taking the piss or looking to take you for a ride.

Your work is nice, but you from what I've looked at (admittedly, just the first couple of pages) you may need more diversity if anyone is to take you on as an apprentice. Try different styles, look at existing tattoos in a variety of styles, and try to replicate their style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Generally any apprenticeships that require huge amounts of money are scams. Stay away. Artists that genuinely want to teach someone, and teach them well, won't charge you.

Make sure your portfolio is as good as you can humanly get it. Bring it with you and stress just how hard you are prepared to work, provided you are prepared to work hard.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

You'll have to prove yourself as a worthy candidate. Not only do you have to be a very competent and confident artist in a number of areas, but you'll have to show that you're not gonna be takin' the pish when it comes to doing the donkey work (such as cleaning, lots of cleaning, talking to customers, getting supplies etc), turning up on time every day, asking questions, taking criticism, having patience...

Too many artists have been convinced by the "this is what I wanna do with my life" schpiel and have gotten burnt after investing a lot of time into the learning and development of the apprenticeship when the apprentice realises they're not gonna be let near skin for a few months, the money is crap and the work is hard. It'll take a lot to convince them to take another on.

Head into shops with your portfolio, and just ask them to scan over it for improvements. Even better still, go speak with an artist you'd like to train under. Get talking to them and see what advice they offer.

Btw, I really like your work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

Best of luck finding an apprenticeship. They seem so difficult to come . Any one who draws here should post photos of their work! (thread idea :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Bit of a long shot but could be worth a try if your willing to travel, Chris Frickin Jones just put up on his Facebook he could be looking for an apprentice cant do any harm to try :).

Advertisement