Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routine Screening by Doctors & Dentisits for Alcohol Misuse / Related Illnesses

Options
  • 16-05-2013 4:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

Links to two recent articles below. Please note the copyright notices on them.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/260523.php

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/243819.php

My own personal belief is that any intervention that can catch signs of addiction / misuse / risky behaviour early in relation to alcohol has to be good. I think the difficulty may be around "routiniesing" the tests, like for example diabetes screening.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

It can hardly be a bad thing at all. I haven't read that article but if the recommendation is based on 26 odd years data (and common sense), it should definitely be encouraged (in the appropriate setting - I've been asked to do smoking cessation questionnaires in an emergency department which is ridiculous, takes too much time, doesn't usually make any difference to the acute issue at hand).

I wonder is ICGP have guidelines on this? Is there anything about it on the usual "check-up" consultation?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

I initially thought this thread was about screening doctors and dentists themselves for alcohol misuse. I was wondering if its ethical to screen for something present in 90% of the population. It would be like screening for right handedness. Thankfully its the ordinary punter who is being screened. Don't forget the medical definition of alcoholism : Someone who drinks more than his doctor.

Advertisement