Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on hills when roads are wet

Options
  • 16-05-2013 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Using my road bike when it's raining is not a problem however I get nervous when it comes to downhill such as Howth head.

I'm sure it's more dangerous when it's wet & at the speed you're going. Would you generally avoid hills if possible?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why would you avoid hills?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Using my road bike when it's raining is not a problem however I get nervous when it comes to downhill such as Howth head.

I'm sure it's more dangerous when it's wet & at the speed you're going. Would you generally avoid hills if possible?

Thanks

Brad, is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Came off my Bike in the Rain going Down Hill...

Just go back on and Cycle away, No Pain No Gain!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭leecurlywurly

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why would you avoid hills?

So I won't slip on wet roads on the likes of Howth head, pretty steep hills..!

Brad, is that you?

Not Brad, sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

About the only downside to downhill cycling, I'd like if there was a better way to control downhill speed than futzing with the breaks all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

what tyres do you have?

kuro_man wrote: »
    what tyres do you have?

Fulcrum 700 wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I would slow down to a speed where I felt safe and then maybe knock off a few more kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭velomelo

Just go slow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Fulcrum 700 wheels

Those are the wheels. What are the tyres? Howth is not so steep and twisty that you would come off in the wet.

Well, the main part is not so steep and twisty. There are a couple of trickier spots but they are less cycled.

Raam wrote: »
    Those are the wheels. What are the tyres? Howth is not so steep and twisty that you would come off in the wet.

Well, the main part is not so steep and twisty. There are a couple of trickier spots but they are less cycled.

Sorry, read the question quickly. At work :D

Guess I need to man up then!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭billyhead

I have come down the steep side of Howth i.e by the church in heavy rain afew times before at fast speeds without any problems. You just need to man up and grow a pair. Only joking. Its just a matter of gaining confidence in descending in the wet

billyhead wrote: »
    I have come down the steep side of Howth i.e by the church in heavy rain afew times before at fast speeds without any problems. You just need to man up and grow a pair. Only joking. Its just a matter of gaining confidence in descending in the wet

I once was going up the Howth during some crazy downpour wearing the punctureproof armadillos (which are absolutely terrible on wet)- there were streams of water going down the road. I don't remember how I went down from Howth hills... but I am still alive and in one piece :D

But these armadillos are horrible on the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The only problem i have with hills in the wet is pedestrians running out onto the road without looking, and cars etc pulling out. Braking surfaces can be slippy in the wet so braking distances are likely to be longer than usual, I find it safer to slow down a bit to allow for this. You might experience skids if your tyres are not grippy, I use Continental GP4000s tyres and have never had a problem with wet grip.
    Rule of thumb: if you think you are going too fast then you most likely are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭2011abc

velomelo wrote: »
    I once was going up the Howth during some crazy downpour wearing the punctureproof armadillos (which are absolutely terrible on wet)- there were streams of water going down the road. I don't remember how I went down from Howth hills... but I am still alive and in one piece :D

But these armadillos are horrible on the wet.

I was once going down the Hill of Howth with a young lady (on a date if you dont mind!)We were cycling side by side and the speed(I felt for HER anyway) was rising fairly alarmingly but she seemed unfussed .At around 40mph and rapidly running out of clear road ahead I asked if she felt a reduction in speed might be appropriate .She replied that she was trying to slow down but it didnt seem to be having any effect ....I suggested that she pull the brakes as hard as possible immediately .Afterwards she explained that she had been told that you slow down coming down a steep hill BY GOING DOWN THROUGH THE GEARS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

At around 40mph and rapidly running out of clear road [...] I suggested that she pull the brakes as hard as possible immediately

Has she recovered yet?

8-o

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

This is just a confidence thing. Descending in the wet is a necessary part of cycling, nothing to get too worried about.

LennoxR wrote: »
    This is just a confidence thing. Descending in the wet is a necessary part of cycling, nothing to get too worried about.

The only downside of this is that most of us don't have the team car following in the back in case you hit the ground and need a replacement bike fast so that you'll get home just in time for 9 oclock news ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

Darkstrike wrote: »
    About the only downside to downhill cycling, I'd like if there was a better way to control downhill speed than futzing with the breaks all the time.

Fixed wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Or sit up tall and catch more air.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

velomelo wrote: »
    The only downside of this is that most of us don't have the team car following in the back in case you hit the ground and need a replacement bike fast so that you'll get home just in time for 9 oclock news ;)

You think I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

So I won't slip on wet roads on the likes of Howth head, pretty steep hills..!
    Try coming down on a frosty morning - it really focuses the mind!

Advertisement