Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fifth year

Options
  • 15-05-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey,, so im about to start fifth year and i was wondering what you think is the best way to stay focused and on top of the workload?? Any tips for coping with the jump from junior cycle??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Aoibhean wrote: »
    Hey,, so im about to start fifth year and i was wondering what you think is the best way to stay focused and on top of the workload?? Any tips for coping with the jump from junior cycle??

I would say to try and not get overwhelmed , you are just starting fifth year and its often easy to think about everything you have to do and get worked up about it , i would take your time and go through topics at a nice pace , keeping up with your class/teacher as you finish topics :) and make out a good study timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aoibhean

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    I would say to try and not get overwhelmed , you are just starting fifth year and its often easy to think about everything you have to do and get worked up about it , i would take your time and go through topics at a nice pace , keeping up with your class/teacher as you finish topics :) and make out a good study timetable.

Thanks,, what wod you say makes a good study timetable? How much study ontop of hmwk should a fifth year be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi Aoibhean, I would suggest using most of your study time in 5th year to prepare good quality notes for 6th year.
    Practice past exam questions relevant to the topics being covered in school at the time, correct using marking schemes from examinations.ie, and save them in a separate folder for each subject.
    Prepare notes in your own words using text books, teacher notes, revision books etc (shake down your friends doing LC this year for revision books once the exams are over, the books change very little from year to year and you'll save yourself a lot of money), especially for subjects such as English and history for which you can prepare essays on typical exam questions.
    This approach works really well to take some of the pressure off in sixth year, when the topics you covered in fifth year won't be so fresh in your mind.
    For English, aim to do some writing every week, for example write a speech in the correct structure, write an article for a popular magazine on a subject you feel is topical and relevant to young people, write a short story, write a personal essay, and ask your teacher to correct your work according to exam marking scheme style: it's hard to prepare for English paper 1 when you are stressed with the faster pace in sixth year, so this would really stand to you in terms of getting to grips with composing essays.
    Towards the end of fifth year, try answering under exam conditions: see if you can complete answers in the amount of time you would allocate to the question in the exam, and you will feel much more confident when the LC actually comes around.
    The added bonus of working with exam papers in fifth year is that you will have answers prepared for questions you will be given as homework in 6th year when it comes to the end of the year, and so will relieve some more of the pressure!
    A study timetable that works for some students would consist of blocks of 40 minutes to an hour in which you set an aim, for example 'by 5.30pm I should be able to list the sources, functions, properties of protein'. If the aim isn't met, mark the section and revisit it. After each 40-60 minute block take a short break (5-10 mins), stretch your legs, phone a friend, get some air etc, then get back down to it! You might only study one subject per weeknight, but try to fit in at least 2 or 3 blocks every weekend. I used to try to get all written homework done on a Friday night, then fit in 2 study blocks on a Saturday and 1 on a sunday (or vice versa, depending on the weekend!), although I always seemed to end up trying to write an irish essay at 11pm on a sunday night, so I suppose the most important thing is to find a routine that works for you! Turn off the computer and put your phone on silent to limit distractions. Establish good habits and you'll find the information is more likely to stick!
    Above all for fifth year, make time for your hobbies, going out with friends etc: you need to find a balance that works for you, and remember it's not all about exams or you'll be burnt out!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

If you do what the above poster says you're sorted! :D But get into good habits right from the get go. From your other thread I know you were in TY so it's really important that you get back in the habit of studying every night; do out your own notes on each topic and one really helpful one is to revise everything you've done in each class that day. You should stay relaxed while studying and don't be worrying about things, however do not be complacent!
    And keep an eye on your college options for next year. You really don't want to leave something as huge as that til the last minute

Oh yeah, don't worry about what other people are doing study-wise, you'll be the one who won't be cramming like mad and instead you'll be nice and relaxed! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Never, ever fall behind. It's such a common and disastrous mistake. When you're given homework, or have to study a particular topic, do what you're asked to the best of your ability. If you're being dished out huge history essays or English essays, always start them the day you're assigned the essay and have it in for when it's supposed to be in.

I'd also advise to skim over some of the things you did in class every day. Not a huge amount like, just take a casual look over some topics in your textbook that you're unsure of or a bit unclear about.

Hope I helped. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Elceeney

Start studying, so you don't end up like me... 3 weeks left with nothing done.

Advertisement