Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help Please for a Newbie

Options
  • 15-05-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

Basically i bought a Cab off a guy which had Mame32 0.92 installed on it, with thousands of old arcade games which is cool and i love to pieces.

Now some of the Games don't work, and they are missing some files, so i decided i would try add a few new games to it, but I'm not having much success in getting the games installed correctly.

I have downloaded the Rom's from different sites, I have copied the Rom, and put it in the Rom folder in Mame, launched Mame and refreshed it, but the Rom i have installed is not showing on the list of my games on the left hand side.

I am a total newbie to all this stuff and not very technically savvy so i don't fancy replacing the whole of mame and all its games, as some one else has suggested this to me.

Basically all's i want is to be able to add Games to it, and to get some of the games which i have on it working again, as some are saying Missing files.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated please and thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

I'm in no way an expert but Mame32 0.92 is very old and from 2005 and the roms you are putting in your Mame folder are probably the latest versions that work with the latest Mame so you would need the older versions for your Mame or upgrade everything .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Google the life out of it, find some combined Mame and the matching "files" to go with, and off you go, sometimes you're as well getting the right stuff from scratch, especially if your rom files are that old.
    If you really wanted to, and you are willing to put a bit of time in, try using Clrmamepro or Romcenter to audit your romset using different editions of Mame, the one with the least amount of errors will help you "tune" into the appropriate version of Mame for the romset you have, reducing those errors.
    Also, it will give you an idea of what sort of work maybe involved in updating them, once again, it may be better to just start from scratch and download it all again.
    Please don't ask from where, use Google/Bing whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Is it there much involved in updating to the lastest MAME and is it difficult to do?

no,
    have you decent broadband?

urbanledge wrote: »
    no,
    have you decent broadband?
    Yeah i have decent Broadband alright.

Im just nervous about doing it all, as when i bought the machine it had it all on it.

• Advertisement

nothing to it,
    download mame
    download romset

put roms in roms folder
    refresh

done

Thats how it should go!
    Have you a frontend?(maximus arcade,Mala,hyperspin etc)

your best to start from scratch,

nothing to it,
    download mame
    download romset

put roms in roms folder
    refresh

done

Thats how it should go!
    Have you a frontend?(maximus arcade,Mala,hyperspin etc)

your best to start from scratch,

God i don't know if i do. Where would i find that out?

Would i just remove the old Mame and all the old Roms and then just replace them with the New Updated Mame and all the New roms?

What happens when the computer boots?
    do you get something like this?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQleOA58LVheKeCskzXDS_NBldRlO-IShPCzGozNX4RLoUUg9v4Hw

Yeah it goes straight to that screen and i can play away then.

Then you have no front end,
    Do you have a list of what games you want?
    no point getting the full set if you do.

• Advertisement

Then you have no front end,
    Do you have a list of what games you want?
    no point getting the full set if you do.

I wasnt looking for many. Was just looking for the likes of Paper Boy, There is 3 versions on it already but when i select them it says missing files for the three.

Was looking for sensible soccer, and just even a site where i can find them. Have been on some of the more popular sites and downloaded a few of the roms i was looking for but they dont seem to be workng.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

that is a very old version of mame, I've the complete romset here for .98
    if you send me a list with a couple of the roms not working I'll send you the ones from .98 to try and if they work you can have the 3 CDs its on

Just want to say a Big thanks to Cathal who posted in this thread who helped me out and explained a few things to me, and i finally got my first game of paperboy in years.

Also thanks to the other lads who PM'd me and thanks to the lads who offered advice on this thread.

Have been lurking in this forum for quiet a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

No probs man, everyone on the retro forums helps each other out

Advertisement