Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Setup on ESX

Options
  • 15-05-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've recently setup an ESX server for a number of VMs a user needs to use for testing purposes.

I need to create a few basic Windows 7 VMs which I've gotten through with no issues but I also need to create some XP machines which is proving problematic.

For starters I can't find an ISO image to put into the datastore in order to install the machines, I've also tried to run the install by putting an XP disc in the server itself and point the CD drive of the VM to this, however, it being an OEM XP Disc, as expected, that too has failed.

I'm wondering if there's another way to get an ISO image for XP?

Do I need to go to MSDN and pay for an ISO and license?

TIA for any help given!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

The OEM should work I've used one in the past but to comply with Microsoft licensing MSDN is probably the easiest way to go. If memory serves the basic subs are cheap enough a few hundred euro and the access to a large selection of MSFT products and technologies so easily is great for testing. I'm much more familiar with Hyper-V and have used differencing disks for testing client configs and deploying numerous vm's quickly so it could be an option long term?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

n0brain3r wrote: »
    The OEM should work I've used one in the past but to comply with Microsoft licensing MSDN is probably the easiest way to go. If memory serves the basic subs are cheap enough a few hundred euro and the access to a large selection of MSFT products and technologies so easily is great for testing. I'm much more familiar with Hyper-V and have used differencing disks for testing client configs and deploying numerous vm's quickly so it could be an option long term?
    Cheers for the reply!

In a twist the OEM disk has actually installed properly upon trying a second time.

That said it was unable to copy a number of files over during the install so I'm not holding out much hope. Either way the testing is browser related so once the OS can be gotten to and the browsers launched that's the main thing.

I might just go ahead and see if I can subscribe to have licenses going forwards for XP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Don't know what you want to use it for.

They have pulled the The evaluation edition of XP but you can still get Windows XP Embedded with SP3.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/download/details.aspx?id=21859

Your other option is to download something like InfraRecorder and burn your own .ISO from your CD/DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Try extract the cd to ISO and attach it to the vm on boot use imgburn or similar and see if you get a good build

Don't know what you want to use it for.

They have pulled the The evaluation edition of XP but you can still get Windows XP Embedded with SP3.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/download/details.aspx?id=21859

Your other option is to download something like InfraRecorder and burn your own .ISO from your CD/DVD.

Use XP? Well we don't but we need to test on it as a number of clients are still using xp so I'm not going to ask questions, just setup the esx box for them and leave them test away.

That's exactly what I was looking for cheers, downloading the iso now.
    n0brain3r wrote: »
    Try extract the cd to ISO and attach it to the vm on boot use imgburn or similar and see if you get a good build

Regarding this - I'm not sure that this will work what with the disk being an OEM version - I'll check it out for future reference though cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

If you already have a physical XP system for testing you could use the free VMware Converter tool and clone it to a VM. Run Converter on the XP system and point it at the ESX server as a destination.

Link here

You might still have to think about MS licensing for compliance though.

swampgas wrote: »
    If you already have a physical XP system for testing you could use the free VMware Converter tool and clone it to a VM. Run Converter on the XP system and point it at the ESX server as a destination.

Link here

You might still have to think about MS licensing for compliance though.
    Nice, thanks for that - licensing isn't my concern, once I get the machines built it's up to the dept. manager that I'm setting this up for and my boss to organize licenses :)

Advertisement