Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL

Options
  • 15-05-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hey I'm in receipt of social welfare and wondering if anyone knows how to get a TEFL course part or almost fully paid for by the Social Welfare as part of the "Technical Assistance & Training Fund".

I'm already enrolled in a SpringBoard course however and am unsure as to how this may affect my chances of getting it.

Also how to apply etc would be useful info. I rang a guy from TEFL and he said that up to 75% of the course cost could be covered however he also stressed when applying to make sure to reiterate that TEFL is a "teacher training course" and NOT a language course, as language courses are not covered by said fund.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MJToner

Hi I'm just wondering if you have gotten anywhere with this query? I am in the same position doing a springboard course PT but looking to study TEFL...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Konvict

To be honest with you MJ I think its a load of bollocks. I never went and asked in the end, but with respect to what Con__manx1 said, I'm fairly sure of the answer I would of gotten. Under Joan Burton they're tryna save every penny they can, despite the sound logic put forth above. I think if you pressed them, and perhaps appealed it you may be successful however. I've already purchased a TEFL course, but didn't do so using the scheme.

My advice would be its no harm in asking, know your facts, quote that fund and do as I said and reiterate it is not a language course, and bollocks to the idea of whether or not you can get a job in Ireland using, and in fact you can, you could *hypothetically* end up teaching people English as their second language - ESL.

I duno what you wana do, but you could apply to meddeas to be language assistant in Spain if it took your fancy. I just got offered a job with them and am jumping at the opportunity.

Best of luck.

Advertisement