Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Hotspot with Galaxy S4

Options
  • 15-05-2013 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting the S4 on Three, does anyone know if it has a hotspot feature like the iPhone?? Sometimes I need to use a WiFi only tablet and have previously tethered it to my iPhone.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭0llieJonCon

I have a Galaxy S2 on Three and I just searched for wifi hotspot in the play store, downloaded an app from there and it works great (although a bit hard on the battery). Don't know if the S4 has one pre-installed but you won't be stuck for one thanks to the play store.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

On the s3, go to Settings, Wireless and Networking - more settings.
    Tethering and portable hotspot is there.
    It was installed as standard on the the original Galaxy S as well, so doubt you need a seperate app.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, its there, its built into the system. BUT, its against the terms of service. They dont currently stop anyone but it wouldnt be impossible if they were so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

ED E wrote: »
    Yep, its there, its built into the system. BUT, its against the terms of service. They dont currently stop anyone but it wouldnt be impossible if they were so inclined.

Cannot see why they would as its your data you are using or does tethering use more bandwith?

John Dough wrote: »
    Cannot see why they would as its your data you are using or does tethering use more bandwith?

It doesnt inherently, but can lead to. Generally laptops/desktops use more data, so people tethering and watching netflix all day(unlikely to do this much on a 4") would increase overall network load significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It works just fine on the S4. I've used it a few times.

@paulw On what network mate.

ED E wrote: »
    It doesnt inherently, but can lead to. Generally laptops/desktops use more data, so people tethering and watching netflix all day(unlikely to do this much on a 4") would increase overall network load significantly.

I see but for example if you were using netflix for a couple of hours on your lappy surely they would charge you heavily for that to deter such use.

I see but for example if you were using netflix for a couple of hours on your lappy surely they would charge you heavily for that to deter such use.

Well, they don't differentiate traffic at all right now, and with unlimited data they cant charge for excessive use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

@paulw On what network mate.

Vodafone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement