Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipp v Cork minor football championship

Options
  • 15-05-2013 10:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi all
    Was thinking of heading down to this. Do you think it will worth my while or will Cork walk it.

What are your predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Hi all
    Was thinking of heading down to this. Do you think it will worth my while or will Cork walk it.

What are your predictions?

Minor is very difficult to predict, but given the work that Tipp are doing in their underage set up, Cork on paper should not walk it.

I'd fancy Cork to win, but it should be close. However, with minor, anything can happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

Colm R wrote: »
    Minor is very difficult to predict, but given the work that Tipp are doing in their underage set up, Cork on paper should not walk it.

I'd fancy Cork to win, but it should be close. However, with minor, anything can happen.

Yea I agree, Tipp have done wonderful things at underage. Great to see but how are this bunch of lads looking? Cork have a strong tradition and im sure will be hard to beat

Yea I agree, Tipp have done wonderful things at underage. Great to see but how are this bunch of lads looking? Cork have a strong tradition and im sure will be hard to beat

I don't know enough about this Tipp team compared to the one from a few years back so its too difficult to call. But provided the same level of work has been put in, this game should be good.

Cork overcame Kerry after a replay, but to be honest, nobody knows if Kerry at minor is a good benchmark at the moment - no disrespect to Kerry. However, I did hear a lot of people talk at the time that it might be easier for the looser of the Cork Kerry game to get to the final - no disrespect to Waterford intended.

Jaysus, I hope nobody from Kerry or Waterford reads this post.

I don't know enough about this Tipp team compared to the one from a few years back so its too difficult to call. But provided the same level of work has been put in, this game should be good.

Cork overcame Kerry after a replay, but to be honest, nobody knows if Kerry at minor is a good benchmark at the moment - no disrespect to Kerry. However, I did hear a lot of people talk at the time that it might be easier for the looser of the Cork Kerry game to get to the final - no disrespect to Waterford intended.

Haha those Kerry lads are cute whoooors . Cork having two games under their belt might help them too. How did Cork play in the two games against Kerry?

Haha those Kerry lads are cute whoooors . Cork having two games under their belt might help them too. How did Cork play in the two games against Kerry?

First game, Cork should have put them away in normal time but Kerry stuck with it. Kerry were probably on top in extra time, but a penalty in the end saved Cork.

I didn't see the replay, but its goals than win matches, and Cork got them.

• Advertisement

First game, Cork should have put them away in normal time but Kerry stuck with it. Kerry were probably on top in extra time, but a penalty in the end saved Cork.

I didn't see the replay, but its goals than win matches, and Cork got them.

Sounds like itll be a good game. Ill go with Cork but not by much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

The Cork Minor Football team to play Tipperary in the Munster Semi-Final tomorrow night at 7.30pm in Thurles will line out as follows: 1. Anthony Casey Kiskeam
    2. Michael McSweeney Newcestown
    3. Dylan Quinn St Finbarrs
    4. Kevin Flahive Douglas
    5. Sean White Clonakilty
    6. Stephen Cronin Nemo Rangers
    7. Kevin O Neill Glenville
    8. Conor Kingston Douglas
    9. Ryan Harkin Mallow
    10. Jack Bushe Ilen Rovers
      11. Killian O'Connor Mallow
    12. Kevin Cremin Boherbue
    13. Richard O Sullivan Kilmacabea
      14. Michael Cahalane Bandon
    15. Michael Hurley Castlehaven

Subs
    16. Colm O'Driscoll Castlehaven
    17. Peter Kelleher Western Gaels
    18. Kieran Histon Cobh
    19. Rickard Cahalane Sliabh Rua
    20. James Moynihan Canovee
    21. Peter O'Neill Ballincollig 
    22. Aidan Moynihan Canovee
    23. Donal O Driscoll Clann na nGael
    24. Conor O Driscoll Mizen Rovers

I have not seen the minor team play this year due to the games being played normally the same week there was a lot of other games on U21s etc,but this team is meant to be highly rated.
    It should be close but Cork by three or 4 points.Tippereary only have two of last years team,and Cork put up a good show against a much stronger side in Cork.It's Ephie Fitzgerald second year in charge and he is a very good coach.
    Id say there wont be a big crowd from tipp at this at all.The U21 game a few weeks back between the two teams which was more high profile considering tipp had a lot of successful minor players and David Power was in charge,only a small crowd turned up.
    They will hardly have a big crowd tonight.
    A lot of work has been done at underage by tipp,but Id seriously doubt if that will keep going considering the County Board is in debt and Tippereary will first and foremost,rightly or wrongly,always take hurling as the priority.
    I will probably go myself tonight.A win for either side,and youre guaranteed football up til August.
    It is hard to know if Kerry took the Cork game seriously or not.Listening to the match live on Kerry radio,dual players Michael Cahalane and Killan O Connor are key men for cork.
    Aidan Moyinhan on the bench could be lost to munster rubgy.He has been involved with Rockwell colledge.
    On form Cork should win but in underage favourites can sometimes have too much of a burden to carry .However under Ephie Fitzgerald,Id say he will have them will prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Three years to the day since Tipp were beaten in Munster at this level, but the general feeling is that this will be their biggest test, Tipp are almost an u-17 team with only 2 survivors from last year. Still some very talented players on the team though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Booooooooooooooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

In the last 2 years, Tipperary Minor Footballers have won 5 matches in a row against the Big 2 in the Munster Championship (3 against Kerry and 2 against Cork). Maybe it is too much to hope that in year 3, we can stretch that winning run to 6 tonight. It is expecting a lot to be able to beat Cork and Kerry every year at minor level, but we live in hope for now and at any rate should have a very good minor team in 2 years time (this year's Under 16's). Best of luck to the Tipp lads tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Big moral win for tipp 11pts to 8pts, kicked 12 wides in first half, but stil a good win against a strong cork side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Some great work the Tipp underage footballers are doing fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

What a night in Semple Stadium. Tipperary minors have put in some great performances in the last 3 years, but tonight was up there with the best of them, second only to the All Ireland Final win over Dublin in 2011. Tipp shot a lot of wides in the 1st half and should have been comfortable in the closing stages. We were still 5 points ahead with 2 minutes of the 60 to go and "at least" 2 minutes added time announced. Cork scored 2 points in that period, but the referee actually played 5 minutes of added time and Tipp were under sever pressure in the last minute having to face a free and a 45 both dropped into a crowded square. To my blue and gold eyes Tipp were clearly the better team and it would have been a travesty if Cork had scrambled a goal in those last 2 attacks. The referee eventually blew full time and Tipp were home by 0-11 to 0-8. Happy days.

Credit to Tippereary,a fully deserved win by all accounts.
    That was meant to be a highly rated Cork team.
    The bookies had cork at 4/11 on.
    Favouritism can be a burden at underage,young lads can find the expectation hard to deal with.Tippereary suffered the same feat loosing last year in the all ireland series.
    Tippereary now guaranteed football till august at the very least.
    Best of luck to Tippereary in Munster.

Disappointed for the Cork Team, but well done to Tipp. Well deserved.

If the senior competition goes to script, it will be a home game for Kerry in the final - but I'd still fancy Tipp at this stage. Leaving Cert first though.

Its the luck of the draw, but Cork after beating Kerry, are out whereas Kerry are in the final - should the structure change?

Tipp would still have knocked out Cork, but if it was a straight knockout, it would probably be a Tipp Waterford final in Killarney in July - that would be some occasion for the football people of those counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Tipp had two 15year olds starting last night, one of them scored 7pts(5frees) plus another 15year old came on and scored the final point, most of the team are 17years of age. Best of luck in the rest of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,072 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This set up is a joke.

Cork would of been better of getting beat to Kerry.

What other sport gives advantage to loser more then winner?

Complete joke. The sooner we go back to straight knockout the better.

The system is a joke.It shows kerry didnt take the Cork team too seriously.
    Its the same in hurling.If Clare had beaten waterford ,cork would have to go clare and play them a second time but in clare having won in cork.Waterford minors hurlers beat clare a few years back,but lost then a few weeks later.
    It should be like the u21 championship.Kerry could loose to tippereary,yet still get to an ireland quater final.
    2 games lost,and there still playing til august.Cork loose one game,and their out in May.It was safer bet to loose,cause kerry are now just 3 games away from an ireland.And as bad as they are now,they will probaly improve as,they have had not to peak at all yet.

I think the structure should change, but not to straight knockout. It should be a two groups of 3 where everybody gets two games and then the top 2 in the final, or the top 4 in the semis, whichever people decide is preferable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

last year tip lost one minor match and kerry lost 3 yet kerry were still in the competition after tip went out and tip had beaten kerry twice,, what a joke

I think the structure should change, but not to straight knockout. It should be a two groups of 3 where everybody gets two games and then the top 2 in the final, or the top 4 in the semis, whichever people decide is preferable.

Not a bad idea, but the big problem with the Minor Championship is the Leaving Cert. All games have to be finished by now with the only game remaining being the Final in July. So whatever structure at provincial and national level, has to take into account that the finals are at the same time as their senior counterpart, and that no game can take place from mid-may to the end of June.

I'm not sure either if the championship should start earlier in the year either - at the end of the day, a minor player, even in counties like Kerry and Waterford, are probably dual players, if not at intercounty level, certainly at club level, playing with their schools and supposedly studying.

A lot of people have mentioned that this Tipp team are mostly U17. If so, well done to them. I just wonder however, will these guys give the same commitment to training next year.

Its worth noting however that the current structure this year was unfair on Cork because they beat Kerry and now Kerry are in the final. I don't think thats the case, because Cork are out because they lost to Tipp, and what Kerry did is irrelevant. On the other side, in an open draw, I think the structure is more unfair on Waterford and Clare.

Its simply not possible for them to avoid one of the big three before a final in any open draw.

Did I say "Big Three" in relation to Munster Minor football? Well done Tipp!!

Hopefully Limerick might develop another good Senior team like they have in the past few years, and this province might become a pretty good place for football again. As much as I love Cork Kerry in Killarney in July, Munster football needs something new - Limerick have done well, and now Tipp are developing quite well.

Not a bad idea, but the big problem with the Minor Championship is the Leaving Cert. All games have to be finished by now with the only game remaining being the Final in July. So whatever structure at provincial and national level, has to take into account that the finals are at the same time as their senior counterpart, and that no game can take place from mid-may to the end of June.

I'm not sure either if the championship should start earlier in the year either - at the end of the day, a minor player, even in counties like Kerry and Waterford, are probably dual players, if not at intercounty level, certainly at club level, playing with their schools and supposedly studying.

A lot of people have mentioned that this Tipp team are mostly U17. If so, well done to them. I just wonder however, will these guys give the same commitment to training next year.

Its worth noting however that the current structure this year was unfair on Cork because they beat Kerry and now Kerry are in the final. I don't think thats the case, because Cork are out because they lost to Tipp, and what Kerry did is irrelevant. On the other side, in an open draw, I think the structure is more unfair on Waterford and Clare.

Its simply not possible for them to avoid one of the big three before a final in any open draw.

Did I say "Big Three" in relation to Munster Minor football? Well done Tipp!!

Hopefully Limerick might develop another good Senior team like they have in the past few years, and this province might become a pretty good place for football again. As much as I love Cork Kerry in Killarney in July, Munster football needs something new - Limerick have done well, and now Tipp are developing quite well.

While I'd have loved to see the lads in the Munster Final, do you deserve to be there if there are three teams better than you in the competition? Not really.

Kerry will have played 5 games in Munster this year, with the groups system they'll play a max of 4. In the long run it would probably benefit the other teams more as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

It is indeed true and infact they had three 15 year olds involved, why can I ask do you think they might not give the same commitment in their second year? Colin O'Riordan is playing he's fourth campaign and was head and shoulders above anyone on the field Wednesday night, I would have thought guys playing their second and subsequent years would gain in confidence and experience and develop as players?

It is indeed true and infact they had three 15 year olds involved, why can I ask do you think they might not give the same commitment in their second year? Colin O'Riordan is playing he's fourth campaign and was head and shoulders above anyone on the field Wednesday night, I would have thought guys playing their second and subsequent years would gain in confidence and experience and develop as players?

Your certainly correct and they hopefully will go on to be great U21s and Seniors. The point I am trying to make affects all teams - if your minor team is largely U17, then they have less distracting year.

But a minor team mostly made up of U18 is a different kettle of fish. As well as the usual club and school commitments, they have a lot more study, Pre-Leaving cert around Easter, College applications and decisions, and the leaving cert itself.

Advertisement