Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA ,self-employed but no income

Options
  • 15-05-2013 9:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭

just a question

i'm in receipt of jsa and have a means last assessed at 50 euro just over a year ago

i no longer have any income from self employment and im wondering is it simpler for me to close the business and inform that im no longer self employed and hopefully get an increase in my jsa?

or do i have to leave it open?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

As your circumstances have changed ask to have your means re-tested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭mikemcdeedy100

thanks

i will be contacting them shortly

i just wondered is it better to close the business first as i won't have any income from it going forward anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

thanks

i prob will do that

i was looking for the simplest option

the business is a relic from my celtic tiger days-i think the time has come to close it now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

thanks

i prob will do that

i was looking for the simplest option

the business is a relic from my celtic tiger days-i think the time has come to close it now

You do not have to de-register as self-employed unless you want to. Go into your local sw office and ask to have your means reviewed. This will have to be done by a sw inspector and may take some time depending on the the workload but the new means should be backdated to the date your requested the review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Tread very carefully with this OP.
    If you were to cease trading as a self-employed person you would effectively "make" yourself unemployed, and so would be entitled to absolutely nothing for 12 months.
    Seems ridiculous I know, but you would probably be in a better position if you were to claim an income of €1 per week and still remain as self-employed.

Just because you are recieving an allowance at the moment does not mean that that you would continue to recieve an allowance if your "working" circumstances were to change.

eg. if a self-employed Taxi Driver (only as an example) was claiming that his income was below the JSA threshold (including spouse and child allowances) and was in receipt of a small JSA allowance, he would find that deciding to give up his business altogether would mean that he would be entitled to nothing

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    If you were to cease trading as a self-employed person you would effectively "make" yourself unemployed, and so would be entitled to absolutely nothing for 12 months.
    Seems ridiculous I know, but you would probably be in a better position if you were to claim an income of €1 per week and still remain as self-employed.

Just because you are recieving an allowance at the moment does not mean that that you would continue to recieve an allowance if your "working" circumstances were to change.

eg. if a self-employed Taxi Driver (only as an example) was claiming that his income was below the JSA threshold (including spouse and child allowances) and was in receipt of a small JSA allowance, he would find that deciding to give up his business altogether would mean that he would be entitled to nothing

thanks i had assumed i could close the business without losing my benefits as i was no longer trading

and start seeking regular employment

i obviously can't live on fresh air-that goes without saying

maybe i need to ring CI

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

A possible course of action is to- get a new means test,remain self employed while looking for a paye job,if self employment picks up your well place to do it.If and when you get a full time job,sign off and then close down your business.

i was hoping to close as i have to continue to deal with revenue

and the medical card application is not as straightforward
    when self-employed

however i can't jeopardize my jsa so i will prob need to get some professional advice on this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

i was hoping to close as i have to continue to deal with revenue

and the medical card application is not as straightforward
    when self-employed

however i can't jeopardize my jsa so i will prob need to get some professional advice on this

If you want to close down your business and de-register with Revenue this will not affect you jsa payment. You will have to be available and looking for full time work which I am sure you will be.

• Advertisement

thats what i was hoping
    i would hopefully be entitled to 188 after the means test then

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rev1890

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

This is not true.
    If you want to cease self-employment let the SW office know and they will re-assess your means. You will of course have to be seeking work. You can also return to self-employment at any stage, just let SW know. There are several supports available for example Back to Work.
    Selfemployedsupports.ie is a good website for info.

Advertisement