Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for Computer Science

Options
  • 15-05-2013 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi pplz
    As the title says looking for a laptop for computer science as I will be starting it in sept and my current model has seen better day and a bit of wear and tear over the last three/four years and isn't exactly what you'd call compacted.

Any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johneire31

any laptop in the 500 euro range will give you enough processing power and memory. however, it needs to be able to do academic work also running the normal database, word-processing and spreadsheet software. And then you need to statistical software and perhaps you will be using Mathlab or equivalent.

My advice is have two! a new on for your bog standard academic work and enjoy and use your older computer for the like of experimenting as you will find in computer science you will be dealing with different operating systems and configurations when experimenting. You will also write and run programs that can be quite buggy and can cause all sorts of weird and wonderful senarios. But clean installs and problem solving are very common with windows and linux in the computer science world so again have one you never touch and one you don't really care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BinaryRyan

Great advice and I do indeed intend on keeping my old hefty machine if only for back-up purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

I'd recommend the dell latitude e6230. I have the bigger version e6420 which I use for work but I much prefer its smaller brother e6230, Its very light, robust and portable, 12.5inch screen. Its expensive from the dell website but I just recently got one from a company called NDC on ebay for half the price, they usually sell refurbs this laptop was new.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Dell-Latitude-E6230-Laptop-i5-3320M-8GB-320GB-HD-4000-Biometric-12-720p-HD-/121097381335?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item1c31f765d7

Advertisement