Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new species of fish found in river inny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

dvae wrote: »
    i was thinking of going down to ballymahon to give the river inny a try for trout.
    anyway since i never fished there before, i decided to look the river up on the web and found this.

http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/local/ireland-s-newest-species-of-fish-discovered-in-ballymahon-1-1944418

it turns out the arrival of chub in the river could lead to the extinction of trout in Irish rivers over a period of twenty years.

http://www.coarseandmatch.com/chub.htm

I gather these came to our shores from "foreign" parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

i was thinking of going down to ballymahon to give the river inny a try for trout.
    anyway since i never fished there before, i decided to look the river up on the web and found this.

http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/local/ireland-s-newest-species-of-fish-discovered-in-ballymahon-1-1944418

it turns out the arrival of chub in the river could lead to the extinction of trout in Irish rivers over a period of twenty years.

They're there a good few years from what I've heard. I head of one caught on the shannon at Shannonbridge a couple of years ago.
    As for extinction of trout, they've managed to survive in tandem in a lot of rivers in the UK, I guess like anything they'll find a balance. Crayfish will be in trouble though. A positive is that they eat zebra mussels!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Is this not really old news though? I thought they were first reported about 10 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Is this not really old news though? I thought they were first reported about 10 years ago

Yup
    And they will be here to stay.
    The fisheries board electro fished the inny a few years ago claiming the got rid of all the chub.......laughable

What about all the juvenile trout they killed in the process
    You will see decent sized chub showing up here in years to come.
    They live happily with trout in the UK river systems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

As far as I know there are also in the River Lee system down here..I'm not 100% sure about that yet though..

There was talk about it a few years ago that a few hundred had been introduced,,along with some Barbel.

No proof until they are caught though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

very old news :)

Chub are very common in the UK. They will not lead to the extinction of trout, thats just propaganda.
    IFI tried very hard to remove them from the Inny, but its literally an impossible task. I believe IFI have showed down the spread of chub, but they are still there.

as an angler im more worried about Lagarosiphon than the chub!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Yup
    And they will be here to stay.
    The fisheries board electro fished the inny a few years ago claiming the got rid of all the chub.......laughable

What about all the juvenile trout they killed in the process
    You will see decent sized chub showing up here in years to come.
    They live happily with trout in the UK river systems

They live happily as they have done for a long, long time, in English rivers alongside trout but that's a very different thing from dumping a new species into an existing ecosystem. Sometimes it doesn't cause a problem. Rudd in Currane used as live bait by 'gentleman' anglers decades ago have established a breeding population but don't seem to have moved beyond a couple of sheltered bays at the inflow/outflow of Capal/Cummeragh and on the lake side of the bridge near the Butler pool. Apparently, they're true rudd with no chance for hybridisation and quite rare - so not a bad result at all.
    But the Inny connects to a huge system of waterways and if it turned out that invasive chub did have a negative impact on trout/salmon/sea trout and everything else, who knows what the consequences could be over time. I would hope that the IFI isn't just sticking a taser into the water and hoping for the best. This is something that should be studied carefully.
    I saw a photo of a 3lb chub taken out of the Inny (can't find it) a few years back and I wonder is anyone actively fishing for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rsheehan

From what I have heard, IFI have been working hard since 2004 to remove the chub from the Inny. As far as I know, no fish have been caught during their electro-fishing efforts for the last two years. Introducing new fish and plants costs the state (us the tax payers)a fortune in eradication and control efforts.

We have a unique angling resource on the Island of Ireland and I for one don't want to see new species being introduced in to our wild waterways.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

I haveheard of chub being caught at 2 locations on the Shannon and also on the Barrow.
    While IFI claim to have removed all the chub from the Inny I would be doubtfull about that but I havent heard any reports recently of anglers catching any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

rsheehan wrote: »
    From what I have heard, IFI have been working hard since 2004 to remove the chub from the Inny. As far as I know, no fish have been caught during their electro-fishing efforts for the last two years. Introducing new fish and plants costs the state (us the tax payers)a fortune in eradication and control efforts.

We have a unique angling resource on the Island of Ireland and I for one don't want to see new species being introduced in to our wild waterways.

I don't disagree, though if you find an Ecosystem these days that is still unspoilt from exogenous contamination it would be a little miracle. It is a dream to think you could freeze this process. It has always existed although it is true that men are speeding it up big time.

Talk about Sika deers and other fish species to insects. etc, etc ...

Wouldn't mind a bit of grayling action myself :pac:

More seriously to come back on the trout fishing. I don't know about you but despite the cold weather I'm having a good time on the river and caught some beautiful trouts 30-35 + both on nymph and dry. Last night being a prime exemple. Despite freezing in my waders, caught a great 37 cm Brownie on a dry olive. Fish are feeding very sporadically though. I think I was just at the right place at the right time. Enough off topic ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

BoarHunter wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind a bit of grayling action myself :pac:

If reports are to be believed you don't have to go as far as you'd think to get your wish.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rsheehan

BoarHunter wrote: »
    I don't disagree, though if you find an Ecosystem these days that is still unspoilt from exogenous contamination it would be a little miracle. It is a dream to think you could freeze this process. It has always existed although it is true that men are speeding it up big time.

Yea, I hate looking at the spoil heaps on the river banks due to the drainage works. Would love to have fished some of our rivers before they were dredged out.

The think is, as anglers we have the chance to try prevent the spread of species or at least slow it down. One persons "useful species" whether for angling or other uses may turn in to a pest for every one else. Look at the Asian carp in the united states. Bighead and silver carp were used as weed control in aquaculture and escaped. They are causing large scale changes to the plankton communities of the Missouri river and are knocking on the door of the laurentian great lakes. the only people getting any benefit out of them are the locals trying to hit them whit baseball bats when they jump in the air!

As anglers we know the difference between the common carp and the Asian carps but other people don't. What is to stop them from moving them around?

What if introduced Grayling were to come with Gyrodactylus attached. What would that do to our salmon fishing and our economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

the last few times the esb electro-fished the inny they didnt come across any chubb, so they say, after that its hard to know wether they are gone or not, as for trout living along side them in england, their wild trout stocks arent great, mostly stocked fish i believe???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The IFI seems so game focussed, I'm not sure I necessarily believe that chub would threaten trouts existence. Probably the same logic that's used to cull pike.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The IFI seems so game focussed, I'm not sure I necessarily believe that chub would threaten trouts existence. Probably the same logic that's used to cull pike.

Caveman gombeens is the description your looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Caveman gombeens is the description your looking for

Mod: We have several regular posters who are involved with IFI. By all means criticise policy but leave out the personal insults. Cheers.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Mod: We have several regular posters who are involved with IFI. By all means criticise policy but leave out the personal insults. Cheers.

They're not all like that I know that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

They're not all like that I know that.

So why generalise?

Zzippy wrote: »
    So why generalise?

I wasn't generalizing
    But as stated the ifi are so narrow minded when it comes to anything other than trout and salmon. ..there are other fish in our waters you know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I wasn't generalizing
    But as stated the ifi are so narrow minded when it comes to anything other than trout and salmon. ..there are other fish in our waters you know.

Right, so referring to IFI as "caveman gombeens" isn't generalising? If you're so upset about it, maybe you could refer to specific staff who set the policy you disagree with as caveman gombeens, and not tar all IFI staff with the same brush, which is what you did. It was an idiotic contribution.

• Advertisement

The ones the set out policies for netting lakes for non-game fish , and the one who go out setting the nets , I dont know their names and I dont care.
    They are cavemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jimmymcg

As an Irishman, I say, lets protect or native indigenous species first (trout and salmon) , and put our invasive species second..lets face it, if trout or salmon are wiped out from a river they are very hard to replace.whereas pike and coarse fish invade everywhere and are unstopable by their nature..PS -i mainly coarse and pike fish, AND aam anti netting!

Advertisement