Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible virus/advice needed.

Options
  • 14-05-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and a couple of family members have received emails from my daughter's email account as have a couple of her friends. Nothing much in the emails except a link to click on which is a big no no I would imagine.

She's on holidays at the moment so isn't at home and not using her PC but she is using an iphone (I think). Its obviously some form of virus that's sending malicious mail of some sort from her email account to her contacts.

Im not into all this technical stuff and neither is she so any help or advice on what she should do would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Get her to change her email password immediately. What type of email account is it - gmail / yahoo / etc?

Hopefully, her account has only been used to send spam. If she can change her password, the chances are, she will be ok. Also get her to change her amazon / paypal / ebay passwords if they are the same as her email password. If she is on holidays, it's better not to do this in an internet cafe which might have keylogging software installed.

If she can't change her password, let us know asap - as well as requesting a password reset, there are other important things to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Many thanks for the reply.

Its a Yahoo account she has and thankfully doesn't have a credit card so no Paypal/Ebay etc.. I got her mum to call her just now and told her get the password changed.

She's just in Sligo for a couple of days so wont be home till near the weekend. Its not an iphone she has which was my mistake earlier but just some ordinary type of phone that she can go online with. She's staying with a friend so may be able to use her PC to access her account and change the password.

Advertisement