Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

benefits For Students During Summer months?

Options
  • 14-05-2013 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I have just completed a Fetac level 5 course and have applied through the CAO for next september to a third level institution. I have got the grant payments from SUSI throughout the year ( and a very pitiful amount at that) and i am wondering is there any financial assistance that i can get throughout the next few months as SUSI will stop my payment this month. i have tried to get part-time work but i am so far unsuccessful. As far as i can tell there is no way i can get Jobseekers (as i won`t be available for full time employment next September) and was hoping there was an alternative?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Think there is still another payment at the end of June from Susi. Can you not just claim jobseekers from now until september ? Only when you leave secondary school do you have to wait three months to claim social welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You will need a letter from your college administrator to state that your course is finished and you can then claim jobseekers

Back in my day there was a 2 year cert, 3 year diploma and 4 year degree.
    So if you were between these years then your course was over and you could claim jobseekers

If you were in the middle of a 4 year degree then your course was not over and that's more difficult

Talk to the administrator, they'll have come across your situation before.
    I know it can be tough to get a summer job

Advertisement