Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Assistance During Summer Months?

Options
  • 14-05-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I have just completed a Fetac level 5 course and have applied through the CAO for next september to a third level institution. I have got the grant payments from SUSI throughout the year ( and a very pitiful amount at that) and i am wondering is there any financial assistance that i can get throughout the next few months as SUSI will stop my payment this month. i have tried to get part-time work but i am so far unsuccessful. As far as i can tell there is no way i can get Jobseekers (as i won`t be available for full time employment next September) and was hoping there was an alternative?

Any help on this would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

Pretty sure you can apply for JSA or something like that during the summer months, you just have to be available during the period your receiving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Cant get jobseekers unless your a mature student, they can claim during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Cant get jobseekers unless your a mature student, they can claim during the summer.

Is that just for people on the BTEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭pauly58

You can get JSA for the summer months, you don't have to be a mature student either. My youngest son claimed it, he was 19.

pauly58 wrote: »
    You can get JSA for the summer months, you don't have to be a mature student either. My youngest son claimed it, he was 19.

Do you mind me asking, did your son tell them he was intending to return to college? The reason I ask is that I'm a mature student that didn't qualify for BTEA and when I went down to inquire about JSA I was told that despite this quoted on their website
    The legislation also provides that a person shall be disqualified from receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance while attending a course of study (including school/college holiday periods), except in such circumstances as may be prescribed. The exceptions to this disqualifications are :
    1. persons aged 21 years or over who have been in receipt of JA/ JB for at least 6 months and who are participating in approved courses of education, training or development (as per above), and
    2. mature students, i.e. persons over 23 years of age on or before 1st January in the year in which the course of study commences.
    Deciding Officers should note that disqualification while attending a course of study is completely separate from the availability condition. As mature students are exempted from this disqualification, they may be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance during the summer holiday periods if they satisfy the availability condition in the normal way.

There is a loophole in that they don't class students(mature or not) who are intending to go back to college as seeking work so they are disqualified.

• Advertisement

Is that just for people on the BTEA?
    No its not , mature students can claim during summer if they cant find work, they just need to go in and open a claim as usual.

No its not , mature students can claim during summer if they cant find work, they just need to go in and open a claim as usual.

I wonder has this rule changed recently as I was told differently when I went down to my local SWO.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

I wonder has this rule changed recently as I was told differently when I went down to my local SWO.

I went into my swo on monday and told them I was a mature student and that I couldnt find work and they said that it was no problem and started a claim for me

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭pauly58

Just to clarify, you can't claim for the holidays if you are on say, a four year course. My son who claimed it , was on a one year course that had finished, but had applied for a new course next year but didn't know at that time if he was going to be accepted.
    Hope that helps.

__oc__ wrote: »
    I went into my swo on monday and told them I was a mature student and that I couldnt find work and they said that it was no problem and started a claim for me

Hmm maybe the guy I spoke to just didn't know what he was talking about.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP.

• Advertisement

I was in there today as i just finished my exams and havent had any luck with a summer job yet, there was no problem, they had no issue with me claiming for the summer if necessary.

pauly58 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, you can't claim for the holidays if you are on say, a four year course. My son who claimed it , was on a one year course that had finished, but had applied for a new course next year but didn't know at that time if he was going to be accepted.
    Hope that helps.
    You can apply during the summer break if your a mature student. Im on a 4 year course and theres no issue.

Advertisement