Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Childcare full time

• 14-05-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

I am considering doing the 3 year Childcare degree here, but am toying between plc or here.. I am just wondering I know its full time, but what are the average hours timetable for 1st year.. like is there any days your only in for 2 or 3 hours etc just as I have a 15 months old and for childcare for him etc.

Many thanks in advance :))

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi, I'm currently in second year of the four year programme, it is the same up until the end of third year - the only difference then being that some will be continuing on for another year.

I started the course when my daughter was 9 months old, so I know what it is like to go into as a parent. The course is split into two semesters per year, and 6 modules per semester. For each module you usually have 2 lectures and 1 tutorial/lab per week, adding up to 18 contact hours. However, these are often not all together, there will be gaps in your timetable which usually bring it up to 25-30 hours per week in college. This actually works out quite well as a parent because it gives you a chance to go over to the library and get some assignments & study done, or head to the gym, which can be hard to find time for with a little one at home. This, of course, will depend on your individual situation, if you have the support of a partner or family at home etc.

In the first semester of second and third year you have to do a module of placement in an early years setting for 11 weeks, 330 hours - 30 hours per week. On top of this you will have meetings, college contact days, pre-placement preparation, thread assignments and a placement project.

I know that this year the current first years and third years each have one non-contact day per week, so they are only in four days per week. This is not the case for the second years so you couldn't count on it to be honest.

If you are able to enter the course directly, through the CAO or Mature Student, or other relevant schemes rather than having to go and do a FETAC qualification first then I would recommend it. The reason is because there are many people on my course with Fetac level 5/6 and, while it is obviously beneficial to them in that they have already got some knowledge, they say it is boring and repetitive as you are covering many of the same topics, theories etc in the first couple of years.

If I can help you out at all, or if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Advertisement