Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Development Course

Options
  • 14-05-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Again, like so many posts prior to this, i am simply looking for some advice please....

I have just completed a PRINCE2 course but feel i have ran before I can even crawl.... so i need to to start again so to speak....

I am looking to source a course in Computer Science, preferably based at software development, and as I live in Wicklow would hope to do it in a college no longer than an hour away.

Now I am currently unemployed as I had to close my business as a graphic designer but i do not have any qualifications from school.

I am looking to go back to college as a mature student and hopefully I will get accepted....

Is there any courses out there that you may know of that may be aimed at a complete novice like me, and if so, do you happen to know if there is any funding available for the course....

Sorry if i seem to be all over the place here, but figured you are the people to ask....

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

http://www.it-tallaght.ie/maturestudents

http://www.it-tallaght.ie/computing

Contact the colleges close to you for best information. Tallaght it no more than 40 Minutes from you on M50

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

listermint wrote: »
    http://www.it-tallaght.ie/maturestudents

http://www.it-tallaght.ie/computing

Contact the colleges close to you for best information. Tallaght it no more than 40 Minutes from you on M50

Thanks Listermint... I appreciate that.... I have sent them an email so lets wait and see what comes back.... Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

What about UCD, TCD ?

amen wrote: »
    What about UCD, TCD ?

I will try them all out but what I am finding out now is the the application to all of these courses is now closed...

I also wonder if these will possibly help me somehow when i apply to college.... I received a FETAC Level 5 in Autocad.... Will these help me to get into college quicker I wonder?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Might be worth starting a thread over in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=882

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Dozy I recently applied as a mature student for CS in 3 uni.You have to apply via the CAO if its a full time course(which you are too late at this stage).

from what I can gather from you have to convince them you are interested in the course etc.,showing any certs you have.For my part i have a couple of java certs and 3 apps up on google play.

I have an interview at the end of the month so can let you know more after I have gone through with it!

there's a good tips in the mature student forum

here's the link for that forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=832

returnNull wrote: »
    Dozy I recently applied as a mature student for CS in 3 uni.You have to apply via the CAO if its a full time course(which you are too late at this stage).

from what I can gather from you have to convince them you are interested in the course etc.,showing any certs you have.For my part i have a couple of java certs and 3 apps up on google play.

I have an interview at the end of the month so can let you know more after I have gone through with it!

there's a good tips in the mature student forum

here's the link for that forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=832

Thanks for the info Null... Really appreciate the effort taken to inform me and best of luck in your interview... Yeah, so it looks like i may have missed the boat for this year, but if i am not mistaken, they will re-release cetain places on some courses in August....

If only i had gotten my finger out sooner, and time is not really on my side :(
    Were you entitled to any funding at all?

I wonder is there any other way that I can get onto a course sooner?

Also intreesting thought on developing some Apps.... Congrats on your 3 :) ....

Where do you study to do that and any chance you might show me what you have created.... Any pointers would be much appreciated....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

If you're evaluating evening courses, stay away from the Information Systems one in TCD. There's not a heavy emphasis on software dev, which has actually caused quite a few people to leave it in the first 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

Little or no info in that link and the modules look like a joke:

• CAREER PLANNING AND JOB SEEKING SKILLS
    • CREATE DESIGNS AND TEST SOFTWARE COMPONENTS
    • IN-COMPANY
    • INDUCTION
    • OPTIONAL MODULES - CHOOSE TWO OF THE FOLLOWING

Best to talk to someone who has done the course before to see if it's worth while rather than jumping in.

From past experience, I know a lot of employers who consider FAS to be a joke...

• Advertisement

Seridisand wrote: »
    Little or no info in that link and the modules look like a joke:

• CAREER PLANNING AND JOB SEEKING SKILLS
    • CREATE DESIGNS AND TEST SOFTWARE COMPONENTS
    • IN-COMPANY
    • INDUCTION
    • OPTIONAL MODULES - CHOOSE TWO OF THE FOLLOWING

Best to talk to someone who has done the course before to see if it's worth while rather than jumping in.

From past experience, I know a lot of employers who consider FAS to be a joke...

I can see what you mean

What do you think of this one....
    http://kiosk.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1yW26DjUJdnNE5J2Y1TnbCUSee7BG3uw7iK5PnWbLqc4QWyf+gZ3EbEjToMVmyC1CpdV88ruRImmOqoFLk0XNZcp9kFNONRfz2J/G9+v3ZVA/KIyp3+eaHp3TfFT7svs5YVSxKT0I+ca7Z4eYJfhKXcaHheikncenmPKGnYI/iRpvF+TUMHoVlUqEwh+8fehqAeeZGQiUZtl4LJlJQDJML3zD6Tov7UkvQ0hy0L8DxJfONZLguAECZPEsen91l6HuIpbfz9225+b4NHvS9uD0QCcz8v107PQnmH9ejyqn6XYCz2563zMIhVEojLEzoq193uUuzZzp6H42xMnf++L2KyIWERfe0oGmRVuBuTkP10X8P5aDpgI43F78qv9n21Zo9yvDxm1JlGIp7kSnn+QOwk3u9epQd1Mgavn9ydeZay7T4PlTcWg3TSxxFMLk7syJA==

Software Development and Testing with Project Management
    Course Description and Certification:

The FIT ICT Technologies Programme offers an opportunity to attain in-demand professional ICT skills and a valuable internationally recognised award. The aim of this course is to provide a range of high level IT skills related to Software Development, Testing and Project Management. Practical competency will be developed in the Microsoft .Net platform and in object oriented programming so that employer needs are met by learners who hit the ground running. The Systems and Software Development area typically involves working within teams of fellow professionals and offers a range of career paths that lead to cutting-edge software development proficiency and/or senior project management roles.

Certification:
    City & Guilds Diploma for ICT professionals - Systems and Principles (7630-04) aligned to NFQ Level 6

• CREATING AN OBJECT ORIENTED COMPUTER PROGRAM USING C++
    • EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION IN BUSINESS - X30
    • PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT - X30
    • PROGRAMMING IN .NET
    • PROGRAMMING IN JAVA
    • PROJECT MAGAGEMENT - X30
    • SOFTWARE APPLICATIONS TESTING
    • SYSTEMS ANALYSIS AND DESIGN - X30
    • SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT - X30
    • Work Experience - Software Development and Testing
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

Looks a lot more promising, but again speak to someone who has done it before.

29 weeks to cover C++, .net and Java along with a work placement, seriously? I'd expect some basic introduction to all three but not much else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Fas also did (last year anyways) a basic java course and an android dev course so see if they are on the site.

Dozy i self studied for the java associate(very easy) and also the java programmer(not as easy!)certs.they'll give you the know how about java and OOP in general.You'll be able to read and understand API's you've never used and hopefully put them to use.

Android development is java based with XML thrown on top.

Thanks for the replays... I really appreciate your input.... Was also thinking of java, but I would like to have enough knowledge to secure a position with google so think that the more languages I know the better...

Hope to have an appointment with SW next week and will try to get on a course on spring board...

What are your thoughts on springboard... Must be worth a shot and try to get the required knowledge from one of the big colleges... Or if you found yourself starting out, all over again, what direction would you choose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Have you looked at NCI? They run a few courses that might interest you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Thanks for the replays... I really appreciate your input.... Was also thinking of java, but I would like to have enough knowledge to secure a position with google so think that the more languages I know the better...

Thats...... probably not going to happen.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Thats...... probably not going to happen.

hi ChRoMe..... Thanks for the input....

Do you not think it is possible to secure a position with google?

Anf if not, is there anything else you may suggest that will help me get a position within google or another American company, such as dropbox etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

hi ChRoMe..... Thanks for the input....

Do you not think it is possible to secure a position with google?

Anf if not, is there anything else you may suggest that will help me get a position within google or another American company, such as dropbox etc...

Its possible, however a development job in Google are reserved for literally the best in the world at software development.

I'm curious why an American company?

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Its possible, however a development job in Google are reserved for literally the best in the world at software development.

I'm curious why an American company?

Not necessarily an American Company, but I large company who treat their staff well and provide a great place to work...

I don't want to be stuck int he middle of Bally go Backwards with 1 other worker... I want a fun enjoyable work place....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

You're still trying to run before you can crawl. Why do you want to become a programmer? You should at least make a start on learning to program before committing to a computer science degree... Which you will really need with a good grade and extra curricular development work to have a hope of getting through Google's technical tests let alone actually getting a job with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Keep an eye on springboard courses.ie I did the first year of the computer science course in griffith college last year.
    The courses for next year havent been assigned I'm keeping an eye on it to see wat my options are for next year which colleges get the funding for which course

Just seen your post on sprinboard now

You're still trying to run before you can crawl. Why do you want to become a programmer? You should at least make a start on learning to program before committing to a computer science degree... Which you will really need with a good grade and extra curricular development work to have a hope of getting through Google's technical tests let alone actually getting a job with them

I hear you colonel..... Fas are running an online coarse Which is called "MTA - changing career to the online sector and can be found here http://bit.ly/16ON45r or would you suggest I jump stadium in and do a java developer introduction course top introduce me to out before I Athens college http://bit.ly/1690KbP

Again, just an idea to see if I have an aptitude for it

mightyreds wrote: »
    Keep an eye on springboard courses.ie I did the first year of the computer science course in griffith college last year.
    The courses for next year havent been assigned I'm keeping an eye on it to see wat my options are for next year which colleges get the funding for which course

Just seen your post on sprinboard now

Thanks for that....

How was Griffith college? How many hours was your week? 20 maybe...

I see my options as the following now as I have missed the CAO this year....
    For the summer, I can do a course with for java developing as on the previous post.... Or a similar course online....

I then have the option of attending college in BIFE in Bray, or senior college Dun Laoghaire, or waiting for springboard to announce their courses for this year which happens in late June...

Also wanted to find out, if I attend a springboard course, this year, then can I jump straight into year two next year or do I need to start in year one in my chosen course and college....

What do you think my best option is to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Griffith was great we did the same course as Bsc and the same exams, i think 1 module foundations of computing was slightly easier.
    My course was only a 1 year cert but i'm looking now to get into the second year for the higher cert but might have to change college to stay on springboard.
    You can apply for advanced placement some of the class have done this they have been asked for there results and a letter basically describing why they deserve the place and this will let them jump straight into second year in there chosen college.

Advertisement