Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US iPhone working in Ireland

Options
  • 14-05-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Planning on going to America in a few months, and I've done my research. I'd need to get a GSM Unlocked one ($649). I thought this was the best thing ever, until I realized the warranty might only cover the US and not international. Also this thing concerning 4g (I've heard it's coming to Vodafone) , and it not being here, would 3g work on the iPhone 5 ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If you do a search on "America" you'll find about 6 million threads asking about buying in the USA. Any question you have should be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Li_4m

whiterebel wrote: »
    If you do a search on "America" you'll find about 6 million threads asking about buying in the USA. Any question you have should be covered.
    Yes, but none of them mention warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

Li_4m wrote: »
    Yes, but none of them mention warranty

Yes they do. Search again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

On the warranty issue, I would be checking the Apple website for warranty information. This was asked recently and I think someone said that they will only cover warranty in the US now, whereas it used to be worldwide. As I say, check the www.apple.com site, the have a page about warranty info.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Li_4m wrote: »
    Planning on going to America in a few months, and I've done my research. I'd need to get a GSM Unlocked one ($649). I thought this was the best thing ever, until I realized the warranty might only cover the US and not international. Also this thing concerning 4g (I've heard it's coming to Vodafone) , and it not being here, would 3g work on the iPhone 5 ?

I bought an iPhone 5 in Las Vegas in March. I have it on 3 without issue and have 3G coverage, can't say about 4G. I was told by the staff & supervisor in the store that the standard one year warranty applies worldwide but that they couldn't sell Applecare or Applecare+ to international customers (they could sell it but it wouldn't be applicable)

I checked before I went and as far as I could see, the technical specs and frequencies / bandwidths etc for the iPhone 5 on Apple US site and Apple Ireland's site were identical.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

Rael wrote: »
    I bought an iPhone 5 in Las Vegas in March. I have it on 3 without issue and have 3G coverage, can't say about 4G. I was told by the staff & supervisor in the store that the standard one year warranty applies worldwide but that they couldn't sell Applecare or Applecare+ to international customers (they could sell it but it wouldn't be applicable)

I checked before I went and as far as I could see, the technical specs and frequencies / bandwidths etc for the iPhone 5 on Apple US site and Apple Ireland's site were identical.

Hope this helps

The model of your phone is different to the ones sold in Europe and also has a different LTE chip. If you send it back to apple over here they will simply send it back to you because they can't replace it

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

guil wrote: »
    The model of your phone is different to the ones sold in Europe and also has a different LTE chip. If you send it back to apple over here they will simply send it back to you because they can't replace it

Yup, exactly right. I bought my iPhone in NY; it broke and i tried to return it to Apple. They refused, said it had to be returned to the region in which it was bought.

The worldwide warranty merely means that they will fix it if it happens to break while you're outside the U.S., but they will still make you return it there to have it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Li_4m

Thanks, that really helped alot ! :)

Advertisement