Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

btea and course fees

Options
  • 14-05-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

i am currently on JSA and hoping to switch to BTEA if i get accepted to the course i have applied to. i know i am not entitled to the maintenance grant if i get BTEA, but is there anything i can apply for to help with course fees? i have noticed the fees are high, its a makeup course, all of the kit comes to nearly €1000..is there anything i can get to help with this?

i will be living on my own on BTEA and it will be near impossible for me to save that much money :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

i am currently on JSA and hoping to switch to BTEA if i get accepted to the course i have applied to. i know i am not entitled to the maintenance grant if i get BTEA, but is there anything i can apply for to help with course fees? i have noticed the fees are high, its a makeup course, all of the kit comes to nearly €1000..is there anything i can get to help with this?

i will be living on my own on BTEA and it will be near impossible for me to save that much money :(

Yes - see this...
    From the 2011/12 academic year the Student Grant Scheme is divided into 2 components – maintenance grants and fee grants. You cannot get the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) and the maintenance component of a student grant together unless you were getting BTEA in the 2009/10 academic year and are continuing your studies or progressing to a new course. Although you are not entitled to the maintenance component of the student grant, you must still submit a student grant application form to be assessed for a fee grant to pay your Student Contribution (formerly called the student services charge), field trip costs and tuition fees (if payable).
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ForeverYoungx

thank you i read that earlier but i wasn't sure if it covered the makeup kit fees also, i thought it was just exam fees and such

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Its just for the course fees, you can put a case forward for the exam fees but you wont get the kit. There used to be a €300 per year payment for supplies for college but now its gone. Contact the college, I'm sure they have loads of students in the same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

thank you i read that earlier but i wasn't sure if it covered the makeup kit fees also, i thought it was just exam fees and such
    If you get BTEA you can certainly apply for fees- but, like you, I am not sure about money to cover the kit. I would be very doubtful about it but you can always ask at Dep of Social Protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ForeverYoungx

thanks guys, looks like i'll have to cancel my interview for the course theres no way i can save up that money :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement