Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smugmug

Options
  • 14-05-2013 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone else use smugmug? I set up my account last month to try and sell some of my wares and while I've had a lot of hits on the site, almost 20k, I still havent made a sale. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Never heard of it!

Do you pay to be on it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Smugmug has been around a while. Regardless of hits the reason people haven't bought any of your stuff is that they're not interested. If someone happens to be looking for a particular image and they stumble across your site and you have that image, then you'll probably make a sale. Just starting a site and offering images for sale is no guarantee of business. If it was that easy everyone would be at it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I've never heard of it but could you put a link up to your page?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

Stocksy is the way forward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Here's a link to the site.

I had been having a little success selling photos from my personal website but I don't get a lot of traffic to it, usually somewhere in the region of 2000 hits a month for motorsport news and analysis, so decided to try something else and came across smugmug.

PullandBang I didn't expect to instantly be making a load of sales by any stretch but figured that with that amount of hits that I'd get one or two inquires though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

starting to use it my self not so much to make money just for stuff involved in work I could use flickr but to be honest flickr is a trash can of a website that makes my eyes bleed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ImagenEstilo

Frostie,

I use Smugmug also, though only for galleries that are for clients. I been looking at ways to integrate it more with my own site and it does seem super SEO friendly. I've only skimmed through this article but it has some top bits of info on how to integrate your site with Smugmug and also benefit from it in terms of SEO. Have a read:

http://alikgriffin.com/3-must-know-tips-photographers-using-smugmug-pro

How have you set up your galleries as a matter of interest? And a big question is how did you manage to get 20k hits in so short a time. That is pretty awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

frostie500 wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone else use smugmug? I set up my account last month to try and sell some of my wares and while I've had a lot of hits on the site, almost 20k, I still havent made a sale. Anyone else have similar experiences?

I don't imagine there is as large a market for photo prints of cars as there is, for, say, landscapes, portraits or abstracts. It would probably generate lots of hits though.

Advertisement