Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband Athenry

Options
  • 13-05-2013 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Has anyone else been informed by Sky broadband that they could not get their broadband because Eircom were too cheap to supply the space on the Exchange for new broadband orders????

I'm outraged - talk about having a monopoly!! :mad::mad:

Surely this somehow is an infringement of my civil rights if not my consumer rights?!!

Something needs to be done. Are we still living in the dark ages or worse a nanny state?!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Maybe try the Broadband forum. They'd have all the facts there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Smorganna wrote: »
    Has anyone else been informed by Sky broadband that they could not get their broadband because Eircom were too cheap to supply the space on the Exchange for new broadband orders????

Surely this somehow is an infringement of my civil rights if not my consumer rights?!!

Something needs to be done. Are we still living in the dark ages or worse a nanny state?!!!

Firstly anyone who uses multiple punctuation marks should be banned from the internet imho. :pac: Now that I've that off my chest - you might actually have a case under various international charters, but I suspect as there are numerous alternatives to ADSL (broadband though a phone line) you won't have much luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Broadband forum

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Smorganna

Firstly anyone who uses multiple punctuation marks should be banned from the internet imho. :pac: Now that I've that off my chest - you might actually have a case under various international charters, but I suspect as there are numerous alternatives to ADSL (broadband though a phone line) you won't have much luck.

For anyone offended by "multiple punctuation" - get a life IMHO- what do you think punctuation was invented for? Now that I've got that off MY chest!!!!!

I hope there is a case and I am aware that I have at least ONE alternative to ADSL. However, in this day and age that anyone should be limited to a particular type of service or prevented from using another due to a stingy monopoly - reeks of communist control - brace yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More punctuation - or would an appropriate emoticon sooth your punctuation-sensitive feelings? :eek::eek:

For anyone offended by "multiple punctuation" - get a life IMHO- what do you think punctuation was invented for? Now that I've got that off MY chest!!!!!

I hope there is a case and I am aware that I have at least ONE alternative to ADSL. However, in this day and age that anyone should be limited to a particular type of service or prevented from using another due to a stingy monopoly - reeks of communist control - brace yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More punctuation - or would an appropriate emoticon sooth your punctuation-sensitive feelings? :eek::eek:

I spend far to much time on boards feeding the trolls to get a life unfortunately. Pop along to your solicitors and fight the good fight! Might be cheaper to move out of the back of beyond though ;)

• Advertisement

I spend far to much time on boards feeding the trolls to get a life unfortunately. Pop along to your solicitors and fight the good fight! Might be cheaper to move out of the back of beyond though ;)

Noted:p

Not a recommendation but: http://www.onwave.ie/ is an example of a satellite provider if none of the 3G providers can offer you what you're looking for. There are also some other options depending on the exchange. I'm not expert but hopefully someone here is. Its actually not that much more expensive than Sky as if you're outside of an urban area you've another tenner a month to pay (€50 per month). You're going to get no where near 20mb/s on ADSL either.

Thanks for that lowkeyreturn.

The exchange is the issue and I'd like an explanation from them.

Anyone else not able to get the service they want due to Eircoms ineffective communist monopoly?

Perhaps ComReg have the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Definitely worth taking to Comreg - have you contacted Eircom directly also just out of curiosity?

Brgds
    Johnny

Trying to Johnny.
    Currently Alan on the Eircom board is "looking in to it". Pishaw

It's a disgrace. I have not had a proper service from vodafone in two years. Finally decide to change - chose Sky bband and phone package to be told I can't have it thanks to the poor hardware/software on the Eircom phone exchange in my area. Sky would love to supply me but thanks to Eircom... can't get it. Monopoly or what eh?!

It's a farcical joke! (Still ragin' here)

• Advertisement

Did you know that LEGALLY Eircom only have to provide you with "a functioning phone line and dial up broadband"... legally speaking. What a joke!! Can anyone guess in which era this agreement was signed? PMSL :-)

It seems they are not providing enough bitstream at the switch in my area so I cannot use the service provider I want to use via ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Smorganna, you should register for Eircom's efibre on their site. Then when there sales people get on to you, you can ask them to do a line test & tell you what is the maximum your line can take. If nothing else, it might provide you with a response, and, if you are lucky, you just might get a good sales person who just may go the extra mile for you.

I think that is a genius idea Kristopherus.

From what I gather though, their switch here in Athenry is full to capacity and does not have the bitstream access for any new customers. Seemingly they are too cheap to upgrade the switch to allow for more access.

That would be a very good test though.

Thanks for that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

How Eircom have managed to neglect a town the size of Athenry is beyond me:(
    Do you know what Craughwell is like?

How Eircom have managed to neglect a town the size of Athenry is beyond me:(
    Do you know what Craughwell is like?

One other thing Kris... Smallish as Athenry is... there is a large population of tecchies in the town who would relish a service like the one Sky are offering.

The point is the principle really... as a phone network provider if you are only prepared to supply antiquated services... move countries ffs and spare the folk who want to move on the pain of having to deal with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

I live in Athenry and am switching to Sky next Tuesday. It's taken about two weeks but at no stage was there any mention of not being able to make the switch.

Also, you need to chill out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Mr Man wrote: »
    Also, you need to chill out a bit.

Totally agree, to be honest some of the posts that have been made on this and the Eircom forum by the poster have been in a pretty rude manner to say the least...

Isn't is well for those who live in an ideal world

Advertisement