Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap Card question

Options
  • 13-05-2013 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Urgent reply needed if possible, anyway, I have €1.85 left on my Leap Card after just using it now, and I'm wondering if I can use it again for a fare of €2.45 without topping it up, as that is not an option right now.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

robbeeertt wrote: »
    Urgent reply needed if possible, anyway, I have €1.85 left on my Leap Card after just using it now, and I'm wondering if I can use it again for a fare of €2.45 without topping it up, as that is not an option right now.

Cheers

pretty sure that's what the 5 euro deposit on each card is there for, you can dip into it and next time you top it up you will get the amount up top up less the amount you took out of the deposit
    Short answer, yes you should be able to AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 26 robbeeertt

freyners wrote: »
    pretty sure that's what the 5 euro deposit on each card is there for, you can dip into it and next time you top it up you will get the amount up top up less the amount you took out of the deposit
    Short answer, yes you should be able to AFAIK

Ahh okay now I see, thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

Yes, as long as you have 1c or above, you can use it! :)

AFAIK, you can't use it if you're starting on any kinda negative balance (regardless of the 5eur dep)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 robbeeertt

Yes, as long as you have 1c or above, you can use it! :)

AFAIK, you can't use it if you're starting on any kinda negative balance (regardless of the 5eur dep)

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

The €5 is just for the card and refundable and its not usable as credit. When you first buy the card you have to put a minimum of €5 on it, if there is money on the card then it will let your travel. If your journey puts your balance into a minus then the balance will be taken the next time you add credit onto the card. If you have €5 on the card and your journey costs €5.35, your credit balance will read minus 35c and it will be deducted the next time you top up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    The €5 is just for the card and refundable and its not usable as credit. When you first buy the card you have to put a minimum of €5 on it, if there is money on the card then it will let your travel. If your journey puts your balance into a minus then the balance will be taken the next time you add credit onto the card. If you have €5 on the card and your journey costs €5.35, your credit balance will read minus 35c and it will be deducted the next time you top up.
    It is termed a 'useable deposit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Victor wrote: »
    It is termed a 'useable deposit'.

You pay €10 but you only get €5 credit. You get your €5 that you paid for the card back after you fill out a form and claim it back, you dont get it as credit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    You pay €10 but you only get €5 credit. You get your €5 that you paid for the card back after you fill out a form and claim it back, you dont get it as credit.

That's what he means by usable deposit. You even demonstrated this in your post.
    If you have €5 on the card and your journey costs €5.35, your credit balance will read minus 35c and it will be deducted the next time you top up.

The -35c means 4.65 remains of your 5euro deposit.

Its primary function is for that very feature.

Advertisement