Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robotics Career Advice

Options
  • 13-05-2013 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi, I'm starting a Mechatronics degree in September with a view to getting into a career in Robotic Engineering (R & D). Could any of you guys perhaps working in the area advise me on how to best go about this? AI won't be covered in the course I'm doing, and unfortunately there is no work placement. All I can think of atm is to learn the AI side of things myself, and try to get some voluntary work within a robotics company/institution while I'm studying. Any guidance you could give would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

street wrote: »
    Hi, I'm starting a Mechatronics degree in September with a view to getting into a career in Robotic Engineering (R & D). Could any of you guys perhaps working in the area advise me on how to best go about this? AI won't be covered in the course I'm doing, and unfortunately there is no work placement. All I can think of atm is to learn the AI side of things myself, and try to get some voluntary work within a robotics company/institution while I'm studying. Any guidance you could give would be appreciated, thanks.

Bumping this as I will be going into an engineering degree this year aswell. It is the UL Electronic and Computer Engineering course. The name is a bit misleading as you study Robotics and Energy engineering as well as the other two, majoring in one of them after 1st year.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭football_lover

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Bumping this as I will be going into an engineering degree this year aswell. It is the UL Electronic and Computer Engineering course. The name is a bit misleading as you study Robotics and Energy engineering as well as the other two, majoring in one of them after 1st year.

Out of curiosity how did your first year of study go.

Any subject really can be tied into robotics. My opinion is that embedded systems that you will study on electronics would be very useful to the field for sensors and for on board computation.

If you are interested I can give a few hints.

Advertisement