Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CV Joint Question

Options
  • 13-05-2013 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Howdy,

So i have a 99 Almera 1.4. Lovely car. CV boots were ripped on it when i got it, and didn't bother to put new ones on (had no idea how long they were off, so might have been wasting money on the boots).

Anyway, would i be better off buying two new outer joints (one for each side) and two boots for them, and put them on to the existing shafts myself? This would be pretty costly, but at least i'd know they were new and wouldn't have to worry about them.

OR

Should i just buy two fully assembled shafts from a breakers yard, and put them in. It seems like this option would be a lot less time consuming, and cheaper, but would the parts last long enough to make it worth while?

Any reccommendations? :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

If the boots are torn for a time then the joints are on the way out.

I'd buy new parts as you could be cursing yourself in 2 months when the ones from the breakers start clicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Change them yourself . Pick up the two joints new . I think they come with boots and grease also . And give yourself the weekend to do it . If your handy at all it shouldn't be a challenge .

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

YbFocus wrote: »
    I'd buy new parts as you could be cursing yourself in 2 months when the ones from the breakers start clicking.

Good point!
    Colash wrote: »
    Pick up the two joints new . I think they come with boots and grease also.

So that's two for new joints, and boots.

Yeah i can do it myself, it's not overly complicated, just more tedious than anything :)

Thanks for the reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

+1 for new

dh0011 wrote: »
    +1 for new
    I'm seeing a distinct pattern here.....:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

http://www.micksgarage.com/transmission-parts/cv-joints/nissan/almera/almera-mk-ii/2000-onwards/1.5/14915

will probably get these cheaper from a motor factors so it wont be that bad if you can do it yourself

dh0011 wrote: »
    http://www.micksgarage.com/transmission-parts/cv-joints/nissan/almera/almera-mk-ii/2000-onwards/1.5/14915

will probably get these cheaper from a motor factors so it wont be that bad if you can do it yourself

Yeah i'll price them tomorrow, think they'd be about 70-80 euro apiece. CHeers :)

best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

truedoom wrote: »
    Yeah i'll price them tomorrow, think they'd be about 70-80 euro apiece. CHeers :)

Save yourself a ball of money on micksgarage prices and get a pair of these delivered through parcel motel. I got a pair of complete driveshafts for my last car off these lads, no complaints about quality. They were a perfect match for OE fitment.

Also if the boots were torn check the inner boots and the steering rack boots. You could save even more money by not having to replace a pot joint later on :D

wow thats for nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They are good CV joints from J&R.
    I bought a new one from them last year for my Avensis , cost less then 20 all in.
    Interparts brand and its done over 35k miles so far no probs.
    I'll be buying them again for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Try halfords, I can get perfect blueprint parts for my passat on trade at €22, I doubt they are much more than that without it. Some of their stuff is shocking cheap, but good quality.

Save yourself a ball of money on micksgarage prices and get a pair of these.

....okay, seriously what's the catch here. That is a phenomenal good price.

Also if the boots were torn check the inner boots and the steering rack boots. You could save even more money by not having to replace a pot joint later on :D

Yeah checked all the rest of the boots, and they're all fine. Had the whole front end checked over by two mechanics, and all's well (except for the aformentioned) :cool::cool:

Thank's a lot for the link!

Advertisement