Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&I Cup Final(Leinster A vs Newcastle), Friday 17th May (KO:7.30pm)

Options
  • 13-05-2013 4:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭

Doesn't appear to be on sky this year which is disappointing.

Going to a pretty young Leinster team playing. With the majority of the team still doing college exams this week.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

Possible team?

1. Jack O'Connell
    2. Aaron Dundon
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Tom Denton
    5. Mark Flanagan
    6. Dominic Ryan
    7. Conor Gilsenan
    8. Jordi Murphy
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Cathal Marsh
    11. Sam Coghlan Murray
    12. Noel Reid
    13. Brendan Macken
    14. Andrew Boyle
    15. Fionn Carr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Why is this match on at the same time as Amlin final I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Why is this match on at the same time as Amlin final I wonder?
    Newcastle not playing Saturday/Sunday due to qst leg of Championship final which is on Thursday week

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Possible team?

1. Jack O'Connell
    2. Aaron Dundon
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Tom Denton
    5. Mark Flanagan
    6. Dominic Ryan
    7. Conor Gilsenan
    8. Jordi Murphy
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Cathal Marsh
    11. Sam Coghlan Murray
    12. Noel Reid
    13. Brendan Macken
    14. Andrew Boyle
    15. Fionn Carr

Macken dropped into a final after been out for long? Might be risky. I wouldn't mind seeing Kearney feature. He's passed all tests apparently, but I don't think Joe will disrupt the main team by bringing him in. I presume Adam Byrne will feature somehow too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I would guess that either Byrne will go 13 with one of Hudson/Kearney coming in at 15. Or else Macken will come in, and Byrne will move to full-back. It's such a pity this game won't be televised:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

If this game is on at same time as Amlin probably minimal chance of Sky covering both.

Macken's fairly devastating at this level.

Not denying that, but he won't be if he's just dropped into it. Besides, 'this level' isn't applicable to this game. That Newcastle side are good enough for the Pro12 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Not denying that, but he won't be if he's just dropped into it. Besides, 'this level' isn't applicable to this game. That Newcastle side are good enough for the Pro12 imo.

They were fairly brutal against Leeds at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Is dropping Macken in more of a risk that starting Adam Byrne though?

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    They were fairly brutal against Leeds at the weekend.

Were they? Didn't see it in fairness.

Hagz wrote: »
    Is dropping Macken in more of a risk that starting Adam Byrne though?

Dunno, suppose you'd have to weigh them up. Adam got game time against Munster in the semi and has been playing a bit at 13 for UCD since coming back from injury, so I'd say for consistency Byrne would pip it.

What's the story with Coughlan? Is he still injured?

Macken is proven at this level(5 tries already in the B&I Cup), if fit available he has to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Were they? Didn't see it in fairness.

Yeah, Gopperth missed a few (including one absolute sitter) and to say their scrum-half was pedestrian would be kind! They had huge amounts of possession and territory but looked like they had no idea how to actually use it. They won 15-6 in the end (34-30 on agg I think) but all their points came from penalties. They seem to have a good set-piece so they could cause us trouble there, and they were pretty physical, but with the ball they were poor. Nothing was done at anything resembling pace and runners were taking the ball from a standing start constantly. Front up physically and I think we could win it. They'll surely have one eye on the play-off final games and a Premiership place is a lot more valuable to them than a B&I Cup. If we make our presence felt early, even just in defense, they might decide not to risk injuries ahead of next week.

Advertisement