Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wife on BTEA - no/minimal stamps left

Options
  • 13-05-2013 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,

My wife is just about finished her 1st years study. She qualified for the BTEA as she was on Jobseekers benefit at the time.

She has very few stamp days left so during this summer she is likely to run out of these. I work and because of my earnings last year she was ineligible for Fees grant or Student contribution assistance so a credit union loan covered these. Through the year at college she has used the BTEA to pay creche bills and her loan back where I have covered everything else.

Now my reading of the BTEA literature tells me BTEA is for the duration of the course so in my eyes she's good for the remaining 2 years study. Once her JB runs out though she will have to be means tested for JA which I'm pretty sure she won't get because of my earnings therefore for the summer the plan is for her to stay home with the baby.

When she is going back to college in September then is there any reason because she will not have been claiming or receiving a social welfare payment they can prevent her from getting the BTEA?

If she were to get a part-time or full time position for the summer which would pay for the creche would she still qualify for BTEA when she returns in September?

Basically, we're very unsure of the rules for the summer period and eligibility to continue on BTEA for the remainder of the course.

Thanks in advance for any clarification ye may have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

This is something I have been curious about for a while but never tested as I have been so far fortunate to find summer work, however my understanding and I hope someone will back me up on this, that once you qualify you will get it for the duration of the course whether or not you are receiving a job seekers payment during the summer.

Below is from the operational guidelines from the DSP site.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx
    BTEA participants who are progressing to the next year of their course or who are progressing from second level to third level approved undergraduate qualifications will have their BTEA reinstated from the commencement of the new academic year irrespective of whether they were in receipt of an unemployment payment for the summer period.

Advertisement