Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN or LogMeIn?

Options
  • 13-05-2013 3:09pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering which would be the better option, VPN or LogMeIn? I'll be responsible for virtual machines and setting up a network, but I'll want to connect while at home in the evenings and on weekends. So what you consider to be the better option as I'll be using my own machine in work to remote desktop to each virtual machine?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

TeamViewer its the best of the Free ones

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks for that. I'll just have to ensure if it's safe and secure aswell for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Yes,

It safe and secure your Password changes everytime you turn it on and off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Ultra VNC is what we use and its free

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Cork24 wrote: »
    Yes,

It safe and secure your Password changes everytime you turn it on and off

Ah not so bad then.
    Pataman wrote: »
    Ultra VNC is what we use and its free

Forgot about VNC. Will be looking at all my options.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

+1 for teamviewer. For commercial you have to pay though.

There's the vpn option on teamviewer as well (alternative to remote desktop).

I understand the concept of a VPN, but I'm not sure if we'll actually need one right now. I just want to run a server box in work that will allow access to other machines, as the network will be relatively small. If the need arises for other employees to use network resources at home, then I'll set up a VPN, but I don't want that hassle yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

My preferred option is to use openvpn to create create an encrypted connection. You can then use whatever remote desktop software you prefer.

In addition you can usually configure your firewall to only allow connections to the remote desktop software of your choice from the VPN.

Thanks for the advice and keep it coming. Will give me more to look into and a lot of options to explore to see what suits.

Advertisement