Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need new pedals?

Options
  • 13-05-2013 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I am currently using Shimano spd M520's on my hybrid, those small cleat double sided pedals. I find them great, but I've a Boardman Road Comp on the way and I'm wondering if I would be better off changing pedals to the larger cleat style, like the spd-sl?

Is there a noticeable difference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

in a word no if you technique is good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Not sure if my technique is good enough, but I try and have been following some good advice I read somewhere online.

I'm a newbie and also wonder if I have the cleats positioned in the right part of my foot. It feels ok, but need to work on ensuring my foot profile is flatter on the down stroke. I tend to tip the foot forward.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I very much notice the difference between my SPDs and Keos, wouldn't ever use SPDs for any real distances on my road bike. Way too much float, for one thing, feels unstable when going full pelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I very much notice the difference between my SPDs and Keos, wouldn't ever use SPDs for any real distances on my road bike. Way too much float, for one thing, feels unstable when going full pelt.

I'm the opposite, the float is good for my knees! I've used the M520s on anything up to and including 150km. They're grand pedals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Road shoes look flashier than spd specific shoes, and spd cleats on road shoes is frightening :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

AlanD wrote: »
    but need to work on ensuring my foot profile is flatter on the down stroke. I tend to tip the foot forward.

That would have more to do with saddle height, pedal technique and over all position on the bike than the type of pedal you are using.

I'm a bit skeptical of the need to have your foot dead level at the bottom of the stroke.

Cancellara for example definitely doesn't have his flat and he's pretty powerful!
    http://youtu.be/BObnTv4zdRE?t=1m2s

Good advice and differing opinions guys, keep it coming.

I'm a bit skeptical of the need to have your foot dead level at the bottom of the stroke.

it could be a symptom of some other issue I have then, like saddle height, cleat position. So I'll take a look at that and see if it makes a difference. Thanks

AlanD wrote: »
    it could be a symptom of some other issue I have then, like saddle height, cleat position. So I'll take a look at that and see if it makes a difference. Thanks

Your foot is going to connect to the pedal at the same position no matter what clipless system you use. So it has no real bearing on the angle of your ankle. You can move the cleat forward or back if you think you need to change things but you probably have it set up for what feels right through the ball of your foot.

I don't know how much cycling you do, but there can be a tendency for new riders to have their saddle too high as your quads aren't developed and you feel you can get more power with a higher position, and therefore your ankle is quite high. This was the case for me until my legs grew accustomed to cycling. After a while I lowered the saddle in small increments.

Are you experiencing any paint during or after cycling?

I don't do a huge amount of cycling, but trying to do more, hence the better bike as an incentive. So want to go about things in the right way.

Currently the cleats are under the ball....actually a tiny bit behind. They feel fine really. The saddle could be a bit high though as you mentioned. I read just this morning something about a 25 degree angle at the bottom of the turn, so need to check that.

Currently, I get no pain, except in my feet. But I have feet issues anyway (lack of real strength because of numerous ligament tears)

• Advertisement

A proper bike fit is probably as cheap as getting new pedals & shoes and might give you a few pointers in other areas of the bike.

Advertisement