Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording & Panning Drums (Machine DR670)

Options
  • 13-05-2013 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

I'm home recording using the Boss DR 670.

I've never really bothered to pan the kit before and was wondering is there any standard positioning for kick drum and snare, hi-hat cymbals,toms?

I'm guessing just to put some left and right distance between the kit, but interested to know what other techniques are used.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If there's going to be panning, most people are inclined to set it up, similar to how a kit would be around the drummer.

So kick would usually be centre, snare just off centre, H/H a bit more to the same side. Then Toms and the crash/ride/whatever other cymbols spaced in relation to that.

If you were gonna pan'em.

For recording, it's usually done from the drummers perspective. For live, usually from the crowds perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Nice one Dravokivich.

Would it be expected practice to pan drums for recording in that way? ie: would most engineers pan the drums as standard practice?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

yes

i pan kick , snare center

hats slightly to left

slightly left ( small tom ) sliglhtly right ( mid tom ) and right - floor tom ( but not fully right )

and overheads ( cymbals ) to match toms to toms , or cymbals slightly wider than toms .

rooms usually fully left and right .

Advertisement