Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackheads on the nose

Options
  • 13-05-2013 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend anything to get rid of these ,they are really destroying my confidence :(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Other than suggesting facial scrubs and squeezing them? I assume you have tried both. Blackheads generally are not noticeable from any distance so if yours are it might be an underlying skin condition. I would recommend a GP who may refer you to a dermatologist.
    Having said that our own spots always seem bigger to us than they do to others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

My dad gets a pin and rolls it down his nose squeezes the bajaysus out your nose and gets rid of them all in once foul swoop. however your nose is red after for a few days so don't do it on a Saturday night and then go out for pints

I don't think that's something people really notice though dude so I wouldn't worry to much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I have the same issue, I think its just to do with my skin type. I use these from Boots every so often and find them to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Comedone extractors are little loops that squeeze down around the pore to pop out the blackhead

Blackhead_Toolscomedones_extractors.jpg

Some slightly uncomfortable videos of them in use on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

My missus gets me Nose Blackhead Removal Strips but can cause spider veins if removed wrong.
    I usually get fairly warm water on a cloth and press on the nose to open the pores then she puts on the wet strip for about 15mins and then she removes excitedly to see all the little bast**rds on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

My missus gets me Nose Blackhead Removal Strips but can cause spider veins if removed wrong.
    I usually get fairly warm water on a cloth and press on the nose to open the pores then she puts on the wet strip for about 15mins and then she removes excitedly to see all the little bast**rds on it.

mine produce these things last week, with a look of pure excitement in her eyes....not only did it not work but it left me like rudolf for two days, however me pulling her one off her nose was worth it, i took my time instead of ripping it off, she nearly cried i was in knots laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Gym, jogging, swimming. Loads of water, so much your pee is nearly transparent. Google it but pee colour is linked to your level of hydration. Wash face after sweating/exercise and put cold water on your face after showers and washing. And squeeze if you want. Don't touch your nose with hands or rest hands on face, dirt on them blocks pores. I used to use a small dab of toothpaste at night on really bad spots. Also soft drinks, fast food and junk food can block them too for some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Might seem girlie but go get yourself a deep cleaning facial.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Steam your face, boiling how water into a basin and leave your face over it with a towel covering you for a few mins, opens up all the pores, then lighty squeeze them, theres a good nuetrogena mask/scrub you can get in dunnes too its brilliant for clearing them up . I put it on in the shower when the hot water would have opened my pores and I started seeing them clear after a few days.

krudler wrote: »
    Steam your face, boiling how water into a basin and leave your face over it with a towel covering you for a few mins, opens up all the pores, then lighty squeeze them, theres a good nuetrogena mask/scrub you can get in dunnes too its brilliant for clearing them up . I put it on in the shower when the hot water would have opened my pores and I started seeing them clear after a few days.

That could leave him with permanent broken thread veins. Not every skin can take that kind of intense heat for that long, and some are more prone to the veins than others.

Don't find out you're one of them the hard way, because the only way to get rid of them is with expensive laser treatment.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    That could leave him with permanent broken thread veins. Not every skin can take that kind of intense heat for that long, and some are more prone to the veins than others.

Don't find out you're one of them the hard way, because the only way to get rid of them is with expensive laser treatment.

Really? I've been doing it for a while. No thread veins I presume I'm in the clear to continue using it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Saunas & Steam rooms will clean out your pores very nicely.

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Really? I've been doing it for a while. No thread veins I presume I'm in the clear to continue using it?

I hope not with boiling water though? That's a lot of heat and I believe it's the extremes of heat that can cause the broken veins. I think your skin thins as you get older so even if you're in the clear now, you might not be in the future.

I've seen this recommended on the beauty forum many times, and it seems to get great results for those who use it:

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

Just to stress, I don't have this problem and I haven't used any of those methods so I'm no expert. I'm just passing on what I've been told and have read :)

I hope that helps.:)

• Administrators Posts: 53,502 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Comedone extractors are little loops that squeeze down around the pore to pop out the blackhead

Blackhead_Toolscomedones_extractors.jpg

Some slightly uncomfortable videos of them in use on youtube.

I looked them up.... :(
    Edit:Feeling light headed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

HurtLocker wrote: »
    I looked them up.... :(
    Edit:Feeling light headed :(

Don't visit the NOPE thread in cool pics& vids then :pac: they love that stuff over there, sick freaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Candie wrote: »

True, but just modify for your skin type. Unless your skin is very sensitive it would be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Are you sure they are blackheads? Sometimes people can mistake open enlarged pores on the nose as blackheads as they are similar in colour and size and unfortunately harder to get rid of. If they are still there after a deep exfoliation then i dont think they are blackheads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The best thing for Blackheads is salicylic acid. This bottle will last you months used nightly/every 2nd night for under 5 pounds. After a few weeks your skin should be pretty clear.

As above though some people mistake sebaceous filaments and just large pores for blackheads when they're actually not. Squeezing those is pointless as whatever comes out will be back in a few days or a week again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

The best thing for Blackheads is salicylic acid. This bottle will last you months used nightly/every 2nd night for under 5 pounds. After a few weeks your skin should be pretty clear.

As above though some people mistake sebaceous filaments and just large pores for blackheads when they're actually not. Squeezing those is pointless as whatever comes out will be back in a few days or a week again.

Think I'll give this a try,can you get it any chemists here ? or do you have to order it online ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm sure you can get it at any chemist, boots etc, generally speaking most blackhead wash/scrub/etc you see in those places already contain Salicylic Acid, but usually only at 2%. I had terrible problems with my skin, I have tried literally dozens of different products, the only one that truly keeps my skin pretty clear is using 5% Salicylic nightly - even the 2% didn't quite work as well for me. Or you could use regular 2% daily and then do a 10% once a week...whatever works for you really, peoples skin is different!

Advertisement