Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Range extender with additional Ethernet port

Options
  • 12-05-2013 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if there is a range extender available that has an additional port on the back for a wired device?

I'm currently using the TP link powerline adapter to get internet to my pc wired. I also have my pc in a point that is a bit of a black spot for wireless coverage in the back of my house. I was going to purchase an access point that I could connect to the powerline adapter to boost the signal and then have a feed through to my PC.

Is there access points that have additional ports on the back or would I have to get a router to do this or a switch maybe?

Cheers for you help.
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

You can enable LAN/WAN turnaround on some cable routers so they essentially act like a switch with additional wireless. If you have any of the old silver Eircom Netopia routers you can do this. I would just buy a small 5-port switch however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

You can enable LAN/WAN turnaround on some cable routers so they essentially act like a switch with additional wireless. If you have any of the old silver Eircom Netopia routers you can do this. I would just buy a small 5-port switch however.

and buy an additional router or access point on top of that to get rid of the black spots?

I was reading another guys comment that I'm better off creating a second network at the back of the house so as to not just extend the original signal. Might do that along with getting a cheap switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Yeah, sorry, switch and access point would be the way to go.

Advertisement