Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosette and Cone nebula-reprocessed

Options
  • 12-05-2013 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭

Went back over these images while I had some time on my hands recently and re-processed them. There are so many ways of altering the data but the hardest part is settling on just one! Anyway, with the Rosette I created a false luminance channel which was used for the finer detail and sharpness. This was then combined with the RGB channel which was blurred and heavily noise reduced. Luminance channel was added at 30% opacity and then the image was blurred, noise reduced and despeckled. Added in the luminance again at 60% and same procedure until I was able to add it at 100% without having too much noise but keeping the sharpness. So basically, instead of just an RGB image, it is an LLL-RGB image. Comparing the two images, there is a lot more nebulosity in the new version.

For the Cone nebula I just stretched more carefully, in a number of iterations rather than one big stretch.

Rosette original:
    Rossette24subs2_zps956ac256.jpg

Rosette new version:
    RosettefinishedLLLRGB_zpsfad91d61.jpg

Cone original:
    Coneneb_zps9e5693be.jpg

New version:
    Cone1_zps80441c81.jpg

Obviously there are some things I am not happy about, for one I think I may have overdone it on the saturation and I am also still not too happy with the sharpness, could be better. But I think it comes down to needing more data to improve them, especially the Cone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

Maybe it's just me but I prefer the original Rosette.

They are fabulous shots tho', gives me something to aim for.

Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

I think a little too much colors now, its got to be something in between! Still, as said above this is fantastic imaging, hoping to be able to replicate this myself soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yeah I do agree about the saturation, bit too much. Makes the image look less realistic and more like a painting. I also prefer the contrast in the first Rosette but prefer the detail in the second. Need to find a happy medium:)

Thanks for the tips and advice guys, that's why I post;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Desaturated a bit and increased contrast. Looks a bit over processed I think now!

Martinsattemptatprocessingmydata_zps58b6588e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Wailin wrote: »
    Desaturated a bit and increased contrast. Looks a bit over processed I think now!

Very good, much better and so detailed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement