Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Flash Cart or not to Flash Cart

Options
  • 12-05-2013 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

So I got a Power Pak for the NES a couple of months back and I must admit that I love it. Fantastic.

So I was thinking I might pick up something similar for my Mega Drive and SNES.

Don't have the cash right now so would have to sell off some Mega Drive and SNES carts.

It's not a easy decision to let some games go though. I have plenty I don't play (the majority tbh). I mainly collect for Saturn, NES and Turbo Grafx these days so most SNES/Mega Drive games will only be available through emulation and or flash carts and I've little interest in console emulation these days.

I have a few SNES/MD games that I could sell that are worth a bit more than most. Or I could sell quite a few of the more common games I have.

I just found "The Firemen (PAL)" cart and "Ninja Warriors (PAL)" cart so those two alone could get me one flash cart. Agh. I don't know what to do. Loving the power pak so much though and I reckon similar devices for SNES/MD would end up with me playing more games which is good at the end of the day :)

So anyway, should I sell off games to get the flash carts ? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

brianon wrote: »
    So I got a Power Pak for the NES a couple of months back and I must admit that I love it. Fantastic.

So I was thinking I might pick up something similar for my Mega Drive and SNES.

Don't have the cash right now so would have to sell off some Mega Drive and SNES carts.

It's not a easy decision to let some games go though. I have plenty I don't play (the majority tbh). I mainly collect for Saturn, NES and Turbo Grafx these days so most SNES/Mega Drive games will only be available through emulation and or flash carts and I've little interest in console emulation these days.

I have a few SNES/MD games that I could sell that are worth a bit more than most. Or I could sell quite a few of the more common games I have.

I just found "The Firemen (PAL)" cart and "Ninja Warriors (PAL)" cart so those two alone could get me one flash cart. Agh. I don't know what to do. Loving the power pak so much though and I reckon similar devices for SNES/MD would end up with me playing more games which is good at the end of the day :)

So anyway, should I sell off games to get the flash carts ? :)

Well the firemen you shouldn't sell, I mean the way I look at games is its the safari like hunt for them, with flash carts you don't get that thrill. A lot of people I know end up selling there flash carts due to not getting the same enjoyment out of the searching for that title.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have been, and remain, fascinated with all things flash card/cart/SD related.
    I have seen my fair share of cakes of CD-Rs and DVD+/-R's in my time.
    And my conclusion is, by and large, it's a mugs game.
    You wind up with a massive collection of every game made for a format, then play feck all of them because you're not invested in any of them.
    Now, that's just my opinion and a reflection of my experience with them.
    Instead, I have slowly built up a good collection of Megadrive and Snes carts, most of what I really really want, and reserve my MD Everdrive for those games that I will never afford, like GleyLancer, and I use it for my Nomad, save lumping around carts in a backpack.
    Nes/Famicom games are not too expensive, spending a tenner a week or even €20 a month will see your collection form, with the essential making the backbone for the format.
    Snes and MD games are readily and cheaply available too, so why use a flashcart at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Just based on my experience with the PowerPak I reckon I'll get good use out of a Super/Mega Everdrive. I have my NES games (and still am adding to them) but it's the PowerPak I use now to play games I can never get and also games I already have.

The Firemen and the better (or more expensive) games are the ones I'd be most disappointed to lose. Maybe I can just sell a few more less expensive & easier to replace games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If you can limit yourself to translations etc, then yes by all means. But to replace the real thing? I'd have to say no, & I'd echo what Ciderman said. Its a hollow & unrewarding thing to have a flash cart sitting there filled with games that mean nothing to you. Though different folks get different kicks out of the hobby, for me, buying & maintaining a collection is part & parcel of it all

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I agree with what the other lads said. As much as I love my Megadrive and PCE everdrives, theyre only a temp solution till my games are out of storage.

They do cheapen things a bit. Its why I'm so afraid to get multi boards or jpacs for my cabs.

Buy a game, invest in it. Ultimately you'll enjoy it far more.

• Advertisement

Dammit. These are not the responses I wanted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I agree totally with having more of connection to a game that you forked out for and end up playing it more.
    It also nice to have the box to read and the manuals to consult. I was reading through the earthbound players guide the other day and it really adds to the experience.

Also don't sell your carts, you'll regret it. I let to of a good few carts before Christmas that including terranigma, megaman x2 and sunset riders and damn I wish I hadn't.
    Never spend the proceeds on games either :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Each to their own but I think the Everdrive is excellent, same as the Power Pak. I have an ok haul of cib MD games and all they do is sit in drawers 24/7, it's the Everdrive that is always plugged into the Nomad. Mega Everdrive supposed to be better again?

Originals vs flash carts - neither is the substitute for the other.

You sound a little unsure about letting go of your more valuable games so don't. Might take a little longer but just save up and get the flash cart, hold onto the rarer stuff for the time being.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd get a flashcart to play fan translations and expensive games but I definitely wouldn't get rid of carts and not use them. You'll end up really regretting it and probably losing money buying them again. Especially something like Firemen.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd get a flashcart to play fan translations and expensive games but I definitely wouldn't get rid of carts and not use them. You'll end up really regretting it and probably losing money buying them again. Especially something like Firemen.

Ok ok :)
    I have a few spare consoles I could let go instead and an n64 I doubt i will ever use. Might still let some games go but will keep anything that could be tricky to replace.

Thanks for your input guys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Yeah,
    What kind of idiot buys games and then, rashly, sells them on, only to find himself having to buy the all over again......
    This story may have certain autobiographical content

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just ordered a Everdrive (not the Mega) and a Super Everdrive last week - why, as I'm prob never gonna collect a massive SNES/MegaDrive collection other than the likes of the titles that won't via the flash carts due to unsupported/unemulated on cart CPU/GPU/MPUs

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Just ordered a Everdrive (not the Mega) and a Super Everdrive last week - why, as I'm prob never gonna collect a massive SNES/MegaDrive collection other than the likes of the titles that won't via the flash carts due to unsupported/unemulated on cart CPU/GPU/MPUs

But, that's just it, you are never likely to want a massive Snes or MD collection.
    Likely that there are 10 or 20 games total on each format, something that can easily be built up over a year.
    And there's a certain fun in trawling Adverts, Donedeal, Gumtree and ebay for bargains.

Each to their own I suppose.

KeRbDoG wrote: »

Where did you get the Super Everdrive ? They are hard to find at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Where did you get the Super Everdrive ? They are hard to find at the moment.

Ordered -> Back-ordered more so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Flashcarts are an excellent part of any collection, particularly for consoles with huge libraries.
    I think it would be madness to limit yourself to only playing physical carts you own and miss out on the experience of other rarer gems.

Now, I get whole concept of not appreciating games because you've 4000 of them on a flashdrive, my Xbox and PS2 ownership have both suffered this. But now I find myself buying up games for both that I'd previously 'acquired' for no other reason than I'd like to have it sitting on the shelf now that I've play and liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Now, I get whole concept of not appreciating games because you've 4000 of them on a flashdrive, my Xbox and PS2 ownership have both suffered this. But now I find myself buying up games for both that I'd previously 'acquired' for no other reason than I'd like to have it sitting on the shelf now that I've play and liked it.

In that case, you're doing the opposite to what the op was thinking about, you bought games that you found & enjoyed by using them on a flashcart. The op was asking should he sell his existing games, in order to buy a flashcart? I think thats something easily regrettable, & costly to rectify

I've been going through my collection there this morning. Been looking at games I think I could part with that hopefully I wouldn't regret.

I've a nice list of them so far and I reckon I could bare to let them go. They should cover the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The only reason to sell any retro gear is to pay the mortgage/rent and feed the kids..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The only reason to sell any retro gear is to pay the mortgage/rent and feed the kids..

.....or buy more.

• Advertisement

or to roll around in all the cash

sell it like a reseller would! loadz of cash in selling rear games that they dont make anymore!!! L@@K!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

It really depends on what kind of a collector you are, whether you're just a console collector or you like fully boxed games (where collecting for NES and SNES or anything with cardboard packaging becomes a pain in the arse). I'm more of a console/system collector hence why I have a lot of flash carts and I like my boxed games to be complete and in good condition, Mega Drive, PS1 and 2, DC etc. are all great to collect as their packaging is a lot more robust. The others, I just don't bother. Flash carts cover those flimsily packaged games, for me.

There's also a spare Super Everdrive with a DSP chip soldered to it in my collection that I might be tempted to part with since I upgraded to an SD2SNES a while ago, and a v2 Everdrive MD. They might be going up on Adverts soon.

Right. Going through and playing SNES games atm. Trying to trim my collection.

Found Super Double Dragon (label torn some) and it's a really good game :) Will be holding onto it.

Street Racer is better than I thought it would be but still a bit meh and Magic Sword is not my cup of tea I don't think. I know it is a fairly popular game but just doesn't do it for me. So great, two games I am willing to part with ... and my wife things I am a hoarder ! :rolleyes:

*Lost Vikings... hmmm. Not sure.

Right. Going through and playing SNES games atm. Trying to trim my collection.

Found Super Double Dragon (label torn some) and it's a really good game :) Will be holding onto it.

Street Racer is better than I thought it would be but still a bit meh and Magic Sword is not my cup of tea I don't think. I know it is a fairly popular game but just doesn't do it for me. So great, two games I am willing to part with ... and my wife things I am a hoarder ! :rolleyes:

*Lost Vikings... hmmm. Not sure.

Actually on second thoughts, just get rid of the lot. I'll be happy to oblige and offer you a very fair price. :cool:

Advertisement