Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for general home use

Options
  • 12-05-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭

I want to purchase a Laptop for general home use. I do not want to spend any more than 400 euro. I see a few on
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/st/windows-everyday?&isort=price&cnt=48

On processor's do I need an I3 as opposed to an AMD1200/1800, a Celeron or Intel Pentium. Would I be better with a lower spec processor and 8mbit of RAM. On models I see lower spec AGUS and Packard Bell. However for about 60-90 more I see Fujitsu Lenovo Acer and Toshiba models with I3 and 4Mit of RAM. Some of these may be slightly out of date model or end of lines.

In Currys, Harvey Norman or Soundstore similar laptops seem to be about another 70-100 Euro at least.

I am fairly computer literate manage a lot of free software myself such as anti-virus and Open Office, Adobe real Player etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

By general home use what do you mean? I presume internet and a bit of word processing in which case any laptop will do really. If someone in the house wants to use it for games, watching movies etc it could be a different story. Is size important - bigger or smaller, does weight matter?

As a starting point id check out www.dabs.ie , www.saveonlaptops.co.uk , www.laptopsdirect.ie , www.dell.ie

The intel processors tend to be better at the moment with i3 the weakest of the 3 but fine for most jobs. Check the next digit the modern ones would be i3 3xxx, older i3 2xxx etc.

If someone will be playing games then a dedicated graphics card is important but dont presume they are necessarily superior. 7

Advertisement