Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stena Voyager - towed away for scrap

Options
  • 11-05-2013 6:41pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭

And then there was one (Stena Explorer DL-HH).

I guess they never thought about towing when they designed the HSS1500

http://pstew.co.uk/shipphotos/stenavoyager.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭islanderre

Such a shame to see it end this way. Took the chance to travel to holyhead last year and came home on the Swift....... such a difference; the swift was noisy and cramped in comparison.

Reckon the ending of dury free had a big impact coupled with increased fuel costs really was the nail on the coffin for these vessels.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

whats the reason for towing by the stern

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

jamesdiver wrote: »
    whats the reason for towing by the stern
    These are a SWATH design so presumably there is no difference in drag towing by the stern.
    I would guess the fairleads and cleats at the stern are a lot sturdier then the ones on the bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

They really were a class of ship before their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

How come its being scrapped? Surely they could have sold it to another operator.

I've sailed on it a good few times over the years and thought it would be around for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭islanderre

I believe Stena sold one of them to Venezuela but it was possibility been used for fuel smuggling and I think it has been impounded now. The one out of Belfast was replaced in some way by Stena buying the Ex Superfast ferries which are a few knots faster then the normal conventional ferries
    They are also quite big relative to other fast ferries and been Gas Turbine powered have a thirst that conventional powered ferries don't. I agree that they are a super ship but fuel is prob the main reason they are been withdrawn.
    I hope the one out of Dun Laoghaire is around a few more years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

What ever happened the one in south America? Is it still impounded?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Concorde moment 1996-2013. Killed by Duty Free, Ryanair, peak oil and Skype

Advertisement