Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single dad x2 kids struggling big time any advice.

Options
  • 11-05-2013 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Hi just a quick background. firstly let me say I am in full time employment and after tax a earn in and around 480e per week. I have no option to earn over time or so so that is my wage. So basically I'm 29 and I have a daughter of 9 from when I was young who stays every weekend with me and I have paid maintenance everyweek for her since the day she has being born. So after that I met a girl Afew years ago and we moved in together and she became pregnant so she then gave up work and my little boy is 2 years of age. My partner also suffered with a split personality but I tried to get past it but couldn't so my life became so horrible. I had to pay for everything on my wage. She actually suffers with bipolar so I broke away from her about 6 months ago and she moved out. I also have my little boy every weekend who I now also pay maintenance for. I kept the house which we rented together as I needed a stable home for the kids. They are my life. Basically she then went and got everything from the social and I'm still paying or should I say trying to pay and juggle everything on my small wage.
    I could go through what every thing is costing and people wouldn't be able to beleave on how little I'm trying to get by on. But thank god my parents are great.
    Even to collect my little boy I've to drive for a hour which also costs money.

So I'm wondering does any body out there no for sure if there is any way I'd be able to get something. Even something like the family income supplement. Because 480e doesn't go a long way when you have to pay maintenance for two separate kids pay for the rent on a house. And run my car which I have to use to get to work everyday.
    If any one could guide me or help me out with some advice if genuinely be most grateful.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Is the maintenance court-ordered? I'd look at going back to court and getting the amount re-adjusted.
    Perhaps Citizen's Information or FLAC could advise further??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Are you claiming your Single Parents Tax credit? http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it9.html
    It can also be claimed retrospectively and is worth an extra €1650 a year in tax allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

Is the maintenance court-ordered? I'd look at going back to court and getting the amount re-adjusted.
    Perhaps Citizen's Information or FLAC could advise further??

The maintenance was never court orderd no. To be honest I don't have the money to go back to court. I only finished paying the solicitor because I had to bring her to court for access and guardianship. It doesn't make a difference anyway if its court ordered or not. It has to be paid and its for my kids. It's not the top rate of maintenance or the bottom it's a reasonable amount tho to be honest.

banie01 wrote: »
    Are you claiming your Single Parents Tax credit? http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it9.html
    It can also be claimed retrospectively and is worth an extra €1650 a year in tax allowances.

Hey yes have being claiming that since my little girl. U see unfortunately like every one in this country my wages has being cut and cut and cut. My wages has being cut by 200 and odd euro everyweek with further cuts coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭banie01

burke027 wrote: »
    Hey yes have being claiming that since my little girl. U see unfortunately like every one in this country my wages has being cut and cut and cut. My wages has being cut by 200 and odd euro everyweek with further cuts coming.

If you claimed this tax credit after the birth of your daughter, during any period while you were co-habiting with someone(even though you were not living with your daughters mother) you claimed this allowance erroneously and the Revenue commissioners could claim it back if you shoud ever be audited.

One of the qualifying conditions is that you must not be cohabitating with anyone(not just your childs mother) to claim that relief.
    Ridiculous I know but that is the rule as it stands and i am aware of numerous cases where revenue have persued repayment.

Family Income supplement could be a possiblity for you but it would likely only to be able to claimed for 1 of the children as the payment is only ever made in respect of 1 family unit.
    If either of the mothers are claiming it, you would not be able to(in respect of that child at least)
    But in that regard I think you'd really need to speak to an advisor at the Citizens Advice bureau or by asking one of the single parent associations.

• Advertisement

My apoligy she didn't live with me she sponged every thing off me and didn't contribute a cent to anything.
    Thanks for the advice I may start looking somewhere because it seems to be a joke alright. One parent gets everything while the other is entitled to notting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

burke027 wrote: »
    The maintenance was never court orderd no. To be honest I don't have the money to go back to court. I only finished paying the solicitor because I had to bring her to court for access and guardianship. It doesn't make a difference anyway if its court ordered or not. It has to be paid and its for my kids. It's not the top rate of maintenance or the bottom it's a reasonable amount tho to be honest.

Whilst I commend you for trying to do right by your children, it depends on what you call reasonable. If by paying maintenance for two kids on E480 a week is leaving you short, then the amount is NOT reasonable. You need to look at the figures again, and pay for the kids based on that.

Long shot I know, but is there any chance you could work with the mothers to agree an amount? If they're claiming Welfare, then they have to declare any maintenance payments from you. Did you know that? And are the mothers doing so??

If the children are with you every weekend, then they're with the mothers at least 5 days out of 7. What about holidays and Christmas? Can you reduce the payments according to the time spent with you?

Just throwing some ideas out there for you. But you really need some legal advice. Speak to someone at FLAC or Citizens Information as I've said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement