Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Belfast daily

Options
  • 11-05-2013 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Does anybody make this trip? how tiring is it really?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

On a daily basis? It would be absolutely exhausting I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SenorCacahuete

sitstill wrote: »
    On a daily basis? It would be absolutely exhausting I'd say.
    Your insight is overwhelming, i´m wondering HOW exhausing and was looking for answers from people who actually make this trip! not from someone who is assuming, I am able to assume myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape

It is a tiring trip,i would have done it 3-4 times a week for work from Derry.As long as you are well rested and plenty of red bull you will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Your insight is overwhelming, i´m wondering HOW exhausing and was looking for answers from people who actually make this trip! not from someone who is assuming, I am able to assume myself.

If you want something more insightful then how about providing more than just a sweeping generality? Details such as where in Belfast and Dublin, what times of day, what you are doing it for, how you intend to travel, etc would be good to start with.

Thanks Vic08..... I was looking to hear from people who actually do this trip daily! I have no problem giving you additional information if you are looking to help me make an informed decision on deciding to do a daily trip up and back, but judging by the tone of your post i´m guessing it would be fruitless providing you with any information.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Such a commute daily is absolutely madness. You would probably looking at 4 to 5 hours a day commuting, you would be destroyed.

Plus it would be very expensive to do it daily.

No point asking if anyone has done it, I doubt anyone does this daily, it isn't a commutable distance.

Travelling this distance once a week is tiring enough, doing it daily would be torture. Would be better to move there or find a job/study in your current location.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape

bk wrote: »
    Such a commute daily is absolutely madness. You would probably looking at 4 to 5 hours a day commuting, you would be destroyed.

Plus it would be very expensive to do it daily.

No point asking if anyone has done it, I doubt anyone does this daily, it isn't a commutable distance.

Travelling this distance once a week is tiring enough, doing it daily would be torture. Would be better to move there or find a job/study in your current location.

company vehicle,and it is a commutable distance maybe not for yourself but i have done it for long enough.

company vehicle,and it is a commutable distance maybe not for yourself but i have done it for long enough.

i agree with you 100%. There are people working in Dublin commuting from Kilkenny, Longford and Mullingar on a daily basis. I know of one person commuting from Portadown to Dublin daily and has no problems. It can be done

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you doing it as part of your job during normal work hours, then it would be fine.

But to drive for 2h30mins, then do a full days work and drive for another 2h30mins, I would think isn't reasonably doable. You are talking 13 to 14 hours working and driving per day, leaving you with 8 hours to sleep!

It would mean you basically arrive home, eat and go straight to bed. Literally no time to yourself during work days.

To do this I would seriously question the effect it would have on both your health and physiological well being over time.

Given the cost of doing this, it would actually probably be cheaper to rent a second room in Belfast and stay there 4 nights a week and go home for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

OP, there are people doing this daily by train,bus and car .Its 2 hrs 15 mins by train and around the same by bus which would also be the cheaper option. Its a long enough drive by car but handy enough.
    The only tiring bit would be the driving, at least with the bus and the train you can get your head down a bit.

• Advertisement

Of course it is possible to do, but I would seriously think very hard before doing this and look at all your options and alternatives. This would literally be the last option I would take only if you had absolutely no other options.

The only circumstance I would consider doing this is if you had a home and mortgage and family in Dublin and Belfast was the only place you could get a job.

Other then this, I would instead:

- Get a job in Dublin (even if it paid less, take into account the cost of commuting and the cost of your free time and sanity).
    - Move to Belfast permanently.
    - Rent in Belfast for 4 nights a week.

Any of these would be better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The thing is that you cannot commute to Belfast by train from Dublin if you work regular hours, as the first train arrives too late, which is an indictment of the service as some people presumably do want to go some days of the week.

Advertisement