Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

btea to jobseekers summer

Options
  • 11-05-2013 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hi i recieved a letter saying at the end of college year i must stop recieving btea and reapply for jobseekers for the summer. i am returning to college in september. does anyone have evperience with this system this year or last? how long were you without payment during the transfer process?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

hi i recieved a letter saying at the end of college year i must stop recieving btea and reapply for jobseekers for the summer. i am returning to college in september. does anyone have evperience with this system this year or last? how long were you without payment during the transfer process?

My first year (two years ago) I was one week in lieu, but I changed my JA from Monaghan to Louth at the same time, so it was likely that. Last year, I simply had to inform the SW office of when I would be officially finished college and had to take a letter to show that this was in fact the date I finished - I got paid by BTEA up until that day, and got my JA the following Tuesday.

As soon as you know the date of your last exam (as these count as being in college still), get someone to do you a letter to say that the semester ends on that date, and hand it into SW, you shouldn't really be a week without money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Instant switch, just give them what they're asking for. Be aware though the system the social uses has to be 'tricked' into keeping the BTEA going. So if you were on the non-means tested benefit and ask while on the BTEA how many weeks you have left it's very easy for the answer to be wrong.

In my case I have 4 weeks left where as I was told 25 weeks by one person. Thankfully I've found a job - BTEA is unaffected by job or whatever during them summer if you've been granted it for the duration of the course you have it for each subsequent year.

Only slight worry is if you read the letter is says the system is being reviewed in Sept. 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 the nightmare before christmas

ya i noticed the cryptic review remark on the letter. they took 200 from the book allowance 2 yrs ago then got rid of ill together in jan this year. if they make cuts to the payment it would make it impossible for me to go to college. Also have been searching for a job but any low paid job openings seem to be mainly by businesses taking advantage of the jobsbridge scheme and on btea im not entitled to partake in that scheme...fas website is full of pretend jobsbridge jobs and went around with lots of cvs..no one hiring except for on scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm really confused about what people say regarding Btea...
    Btea is stopped in the end of academic year which is 20th June. All people I know got payments until end of academic year and although they wrote down in form the date of their last examinations Btea was paid for much longer until June.
    Moreover, I have no exams at all, so what date would be an official end of my classes?Deadlines for projects?I don't think so... that's why SW pay BTEA until the end of academic year, at least this is in Letterkenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

bubka86 wrote: »
    I'm really confused about what people say regarding Btea...
    Btea is stopped in the end of academic year which is 20th June. All people I know got payments until end of academic year and although they wrote down in form the date of their last examinations Btea was paid for much longer until June.
    Moreover, I have no exams at all, so what date would be an official end of my classes?Deadlines for projects?I don't think so... that's why SW pay BTEA until the end of academic year, at least this is in Letterkenny![/quote

I too am confused about all this. My course ended two weeks ago and I'm still getting btea. I was sent a form in the post for renewal of btea which should only be handed up apparently when I get my college place in August/September. But then I was also given an ordinary btea application form plus a jobseekers allowance application form. What am I supposed to do? Should I claim btea until it stops and then apply for jobseekers? And which btea form should I fill out? The form says that I should inform them about what course I intend to do, but I can't possibly know that until the CAO offers in August. Does anyone have prior experience with this? Seriously confused right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 the nightmare before christmas

i filled out the jobseekers form and repeat btea form they sent me in the post. i went in 3 days after my course finished with the forms.i was told that btea would continue until the start of june but 3 days after being in with them i got a letter with my sign on dates and post office dates so the changeover was very quick but it happens at different times in different areas. i got a letter friday saying that i have to report for an employment services group information session. Hopfully they can give me some info because their website is full of jobsbridge and tus schemes only and on btea you are not entitled to go on these schemes.any help would be great finding a job because iv gotten no return on any of the cvs iv handed in :(

Advertisement