Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg - Parsnip and carrots??

Options
  • 10-05-2013 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Im looking for advice on growing parsnips and carrots?? also other veg such as swedes.

Is plastic/fleece a good idea??

Should i put fertilizer down with the seed?? or grow them as seedling in a tray and transplant??

Raised beds?? drills or on the flat?? which method is best?

I have a large area and its all outdoor.
    Also what time of year should parsnips, carrots or swede be sown, or can they be all year round??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Grow from seed in a tray, then transfer to a raised bed or better yet a tub/container as the main pest is carrot fly which you need to deter. also tubs means you can ensure lack of stones and a 1/3 sand mix which makes it easier for growing straight carrots and parsnips.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Hort101

Would you have any suggestions for direct sowing??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Sow carrots now,no fertilizer of any sort required.parsnips can go in as well wait till they are well up then carefully top dress them.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Hort101

I sowed carrot and parsnip seed directly into the ground and put 7.6.17 in the ground with it.. is that a bad idea??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Hort101 wrote: »
    I sowed carrot and parsnip seed directly into the ground and put 7.6.17 in the ground with it.. is that a bad idea??
    It should be ok you might see carrots with multiple legs so to speak.It wont do them any harm.Parsnips might do the same.

http://www.garden.ie/howtogrow.aspx?id=1010

http://www.garden.ie/howtogrow.aspx?id=1031

• Advertisement
Advertisement