Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many miles is too many?

Options
  • 10-05-2013 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Sorry if it's in the wrong section...

I've been looking at cars from 2000 (13 years old now) and alot of the ones I have seen are advertised as having anywhere between 73,000-135,000 miles on the clock. mid to upper 80,000 being somewhat of an average. I was just wonder if someone could advise me on these numbers. For a car that is 13 years old what is good average to try aim for and is 135,000 in 13 years too much? would the engine be thrashed? if it helps the cars are all VW polo's...only one I can afford for my first car :)

Also would a car with more than 5 previous owners be something to stay away from?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Bar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The owners don't really matter as there can be numerous reasons for high ownership, convertibles seem to have the most there the kind of car you only keep for a year or two, you could probably say the same for a polo, keep it for a year to earn your wings then move onto a bigger car.
    Polo wouldn't be a high milage car, 10,000 a year would be a about right, if someone was trying to sell you a passat diesel with the same milage I'd be highly sceptical.
    Make sure you get what ever your buying checked out by a mechanic or somone who knows a good bit about cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

amount of previous owners means nothing.
    and tbh the mileage thing would only bother me if i was spending big money on a car or buing a very new car . anything under 100,000 miles for a year 2000 car i would class as suspiciously low , the average person in ireland drives 12000-15000 miles a year so work it out from that . for a 13 year old car to only have 75000 miles means they only did 5700 miles a year which isnt impossible but is fairly unlikely .
    if it seems too good to be true it usually is

if it is well serviced and looked after that is more important , and you can usually tell just from talking to the owner whether they look after a car of not .

Advertisement