Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place to buy 300w step down?

Options
  • 10-05-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

I need another step down (really should have just bought one from Ronnie) but can't seem to come across anything useful. They're all too small.

Anyone know where to pick one up? (I remember Steve_SI, you got a really fancy one somewhere?)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

If you've just robbed a bank , Maplin do them

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

horgan_p wrote: »
    If you've just robbed a bank , Maplin do them

Yeah I've this sinking feeling that'll be the only place to get one! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah I've this sinking feeling that'll be the only place to get one! :(

Yep, I got a really nice on in Maplin. But it was a stupid price, but I really needed it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I got the one from maplin a few weeks back. It was on sale with over 5 pound sterling off which made it very reasonably priced. Shipping was pricey though 8 pounds (or euro?) to my door. Free within the UK though so you could do a parcel motel on it. However....

When I went to buy mine whatever way I fluted around with the basket and checked out and paid with paypal, the shipping charge wasn't applied!
    So I got the box delivered to my door for nowt!

Take that ya greasy robbin' bastids!

My one was something like this but not the same as this is a UK to USA.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/500w-usa-to-uk-voltage-convertor-265222

Works off a toroidal system rather than the usual laminate ones.

N59HF.jpg

• Advertisement

That 500w one is pricey but a clever buy. Should comfortably power two cabs at the same time.
    My atomiswave is rated at 140w I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I ended up paying 75 for mine from a place downtown, Ronnie had none and I just had to bite the bullet

That 500w one is pricey but a clever buy. Should comfortably power two cabs at the same time.
    My atomiswave is rated at 140w I think.

I found a pic of my one next to the type you normally see.

389906519086132.jpg

That's pretty small Steve and the standard black maplin one ain't big either

That's pretty small Steve and the standard black maplin one ain't big either

It fits really well inside the cab. And as its toroidal it doesn't have the buzz the cheaper type have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'll keep my gob shut about the one I paid an arm and a leg for (even if it it awesome balls). :o

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'll keep my gob shut about the one I paid an arm and a leg for (even if it it awesome balls). :o

Go on. Embarass us with its awesomeness and embarass yourself with the cost.

Go on. Embarass us with its awesomeness and embarass yourself with the cost.

Was mentioned on AO donkeys ago as being very good, silent and outputting the correct 100v. It is excellent but a silly price when you factor in the shipping etc.

Airlink JA0300: 300VA 230v to 100v

Lol just found this post, christ almighty it cost me £104 all in!! :o

Master of the Universe

If you pay the guts of a grand for a machine I think it's probably a good idea to get the best step down you can. Even if it comes to €100 or so, it's still a fraction of the cab's price.

Sharing a 500w one between two didn't occur to me. That's a really great idea.

The black one with the handle, whats the verdict on them?

Master of the Universe

The black one with the handle, whats the verdict on them?

That's the one I have. Steve_SI said his one made noise but I've never heard a peep out of mine.

There was one going on adverts cheap but it must have been sold off in PM land

http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/transformer-voltage-converter-minwa-mw2p300/2841508

Its what I have aswell, Never heard a peep out of mine. But my living room is usually pretty loud haha

They do make a slight buzzing sound as its impossible for them to not make that noise because of how the tech works.
    I'm a fussy bastard so once I notice these things I'll always notice them:)

I've had two of those black step downs and my opinion on them is that they do the job but upgrade to a better one when you can. I paid well over 100 Euro for my stepdown and felt very ripped off by Maplins but I really did need it at the time and am really glad now.

Master of the Universe

So I just did a listening test on the step down as a matter of interest.

The only way I can hear a buzzing out of mine is if I lie down on the ground and literally put my ear on the step down. It's very very slight.

As soon as your ear is more than an inch or two away from it there's zero buzzing :)

Maybe the quality between the models varies somewhat.

I think I'll put a few eurons aside when I have it and get a fancy one just to be on the safe side.

So I just did a listening test on the step down as a matter of interest.

The only way I can hear a buzzing out of mine is if I lie down on the ground and literally put my ear on the step down. It's very very slight.

As soon as your ear is more than an inch or two away from it there's zero buzzing :)

Maybe the quality between the models varies somewhat.

I think I'll put a few eurons aside when I have it and get a fancy one just to be on the safe side.

Always good to put a few euro away. You never know when you might need to make some necessary purchases :D

http://www.hiddenhearing.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I've one of those black lads with a handle that I got of ronnie.
    Same model they sell in maplins.Doesn't make a sound...and if it did,who gives a sh1t.
    You'll have a candy pumping all manners of audio at you at the same time:)
    I never put it in my cab though..just leave it behind ..do others put it inside?

I've one of those black lads with a handle that I got of ronnie.
    Same model they sell in maplins.Doesn't make a sound...and if it did,who gives a sh1t.
    You'll have a candy pumping all manners of audio at you at the same time:)
    I never put it in my cab though..just leave it behind ..do others put it inside?

No, I leave mine outside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I leave my transformer inside the cab, mostly just to keep it out of reach of the baby.

No noticeable noise or interference worth talking about it

Master of the Universe

That's the one I have. Steve_SI said his one made noise but I've never heard a peep out of mine.

There was one going on adverts cheap but it must have been sold off in PM land

http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/transformer-voltage-converter-minwa-mw2p300/2841508

Woohoo! Got back to me there. €25! Cheap cheap cheap :)

Master of the Universe

Hmm, this step down looks identically to my one, apart from one thing.

Rather than 240v -> 110v, it's 240v -> 120v.

Now I've read this grand to use but still...what ye think?

Arcade otaku Wiki seems to think its fine -

Japanese mains voltage is 100V so unless your power supply has been replaced or your machine has had an internal transformer fitted, you will need an external “step down” transformer to run the machine on 230V European mains voltage.
    Most cabinets are rated at 100-150W but will consume more power with more demanding hardware. A 300W (VA) rated step down is recommended to avoid over-heating.
    If you’re in the US, you can run the machine directly off the mains. Even though the US standard is 120V, mains voltage fluctuates more than you might think and power supplies are built with tolerances to withstand this. If you want to be extra cautious you can always use a transformer.

Also someone was selling 110-120v step downs here

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=23012&sid=d75c545542fb7370cd52c815216c7f20

The step down I have for consoles is rated at 120v.

Are the step downs you guys are using (mainly the fancy ones) rated for 120v? They probably are, but just thought I'd see before plugging anything in.

Hmmm. The Maplin one I have is rated at 110v.
    I think AC voltage by its nature fluctuates by up to 10% but I'm no sparky on this.

Master of the Universe

Feck it, I sent an email to Airlink Transformers asking about 100v step downs. They're expensive, but probably best to have the exact right voltage. Don't want to be stressing the monitors and PSUs, especially on older machines.

Master of the Universe

After biting the bullet and ordering one from Airlink Transformers. Thank feck for Parcel Motel :pac:

Got this one. 500w 100v exactly. Should be able to run both my cabs from it.

http://airlinktransformers.com/japanese_100V_voltage_converters/14-JA0500.html

On an interesting note, some of the guys on AO were saying they experienced a few issues with 110v/120v - even some monitor oddness. Maybe having a true 100v will sort those issues I had with my SNK Candy cab's monitor?

• Advertisement

After biting the bullet and ordering one from Airlink Transformers. Thank feck for Parcel Motel :pac:

Got this one. 500w 100v exactly. Should be able to run both my cabs from it.

http://airlinktransformers.com/japanese_100V_voltage_converters/14-JA0500.html

On an interesting note, some of the guys on AO were saying they experienced a few issues with 110v/120v - even some monitor oddness. Maybe having a true 100v will sort those issues I had with my SNK Candy cab's monitor?

Quality units they are, wish Parcel Motel had of been around when I got mine. :D
    Did you order that "4 gang mains extension lead" underneath it also?

Advertisement